- Volume 19 Issue 3
Local Binary Pattern Based Defocus Blur Detection Using Adaptive Threshold
- Mahmood, Muhammad Tariq (School of Computer Science and Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Choi, Young Kyu (School of Computer Science and Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education)
- Received : 2020.07.07
- Accepted : 2020.08.18
- Published : 2020.09.30
Enormous methods have been proposed for the detection and segmentation of blur and non-blur regions of the images. Due to the limited available information about the blur type, scenario and the level of blurriness, detection and segmentation is a challenging task. Hence, the performance of the blur measure operators is an essential factor and needs improvement to attain perfection. In this paper, we propose an effective blur measure based on the local binary pattern (LBP) with the adaptive threshold for blur detection. The sharpness metric developed based on LBP uses a fixed threshold irrespective of the blur type and level which may not be suitable for images with large variations in imaging conditions and blur type and level. Contradictory, the proposed measure uses an adaptive threshold for each image based on the image and the blur properties to generate an improved sharpness metric. The adaptive threshold is computed based on the model learned through the support vector machine (SVM). The performance of the proposed method is evaluated using a well-known dataset and compared with five state-of-the-art methods. The comparative analysis reveals that the proposed method performs significantly better qualitatively and quantitatively against all the methods.
- K. Bahrami, A. C. Kot, and J. Fan, "A novel approach for partial blur detection and segmentation," in Multimedia and Expo (ICME), 2013 IEEE International Conference on, 2013, pp. 1-6.
- P. Jiang, H. Ling, J. Yu, and J. Peng, "Salient region detection by ufo: Uniqueness, focusness and objectness," in Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on computer vision, 2013, pp. 1976-1983.
- K. G. Derpanis, M. Lecce, K. Daniilidis, and R. P. Wildes, "Dynamic scene understanding: The role of orientation features in space and time in scene classification," in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2012 IEEE Conference on, 2012, pp. 1306-1313.
- J. Shi, L. Xu, and J. Jia, "Just noticeable defocus blur detection and estimation," in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2015, pp. 657-665.
- M. T. Mahmood, S. A. Siddiqui and Y. K. Choi, "Blur Detection through Multinomial Logistic Regression based Adaptive Threshold," Journal of the Semiconductor & Display Technology, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 1-6, 2019.
- J. Shi, L. Xu, and J. Jia, "Discriminative blur detection features," in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2014, pp. 2965-2972.
- S. Zhuo and T. Sim, "Defocus map estimation from a single image," Pattern Recognition, vol. 44, pp. 1852- 1858, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2011.03.009
- U. Ali and M. T. Mahmood, "Analysis of blur measure operators for single image blur segmentation," Applied Sciences, vol. 8, p. 807, 2018. https://doi.org/10.3390/app8050807
- E. Krotkov and J.-P. Martin, "Range from focus," in Proceedings. 1986 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 1986, pp. 1093-1098.
- S. A. Golestaneh and L. J. Karam, "Spatially-Varying Blur Detection Based on Multiscale Fused and Sorted Transform Coefficients of Gradient Magnitudes," in CVPR, 2017, pp. 596-605.
- M. T. Mahmood, U. Ali, and Y. K. Choi, "Single image defocus blur segmentation using Local Ternary Pattern," ICT Express, 2019.
- C. Rother, V. Kolmogorov, and A. Blake, "Grabcut: Interactive foreground extraction using iterated graph cuts," in ACM transactions on graphics (TOG), 2004, pp. 309-314.
- X. Yi and M. Eramian, "LBP-based segmentation of defocus blur," IEEE transactions on image processing, vol. 25, pp. 1626-1638, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2016.2528042
- E. L. Allwein, R. E. Schapire, and Y. Singer, "Reducing multiclass to binary: A unifying approach for margin classifiers," Journal of machine learning research, vol. 1, pp. 113-141, 2000.
- T. Ojala, i. Pietika, Matti, and D. Harwood, "A comparative study of texture measures with classification based on featured distributions," Pattern recognition, vol. 29, pp. 51-59, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-3203(95)00067-4
- R. Liu, Z. Li, and J. Jia, "Image partial blur detection and classification," in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2008. CVPR 2008. IEEE Conference on, 2008, pp. 1-8.