- Volume 19 Issue 3
In this paper, we propose the non-contact gesture recognition system and algorithm using proximity-based sensors. The system uses four IR receiving photodiode embedded on a single chip and an IR LED for small area. The goal of this paper is to use the proposed algorithm to solve the problem associated with bringing the four IR receivers close to each other and to implement a gesture sensor capable of recognizing eight directional gestures from a distance of 10cm and above. The proposed system was implemented on a FPGA board using Verilog HDL with Android host board. As a result of the implementation, a 2-D swipe gesture of fingers and palms of 3cm and 15cm width was recognized, and a recognition rate of more than 97% was achieved under various conditions. The proposed system is a low-power and non-contact HMI system that recognizes a simple but accurate motion. It can be used as an auxiliary interface to use simple functions such as calls, music, and games for portable devices using batteries.
- J. Choi, K. Song and S. Lee, "Enabling a Gesture-based Numeric Input on Mobile Phones," in IEEE Int. Conf. on Consum. Electron., Las Vegas, USA, Jan. 2012.
- Y. T. Lee and I. H. Kwon, "Development of Pressure Monitoring System Using Silicon Pressure Sensor," J. Semiconductor & Display Technol., vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 76-79, 2018.
- C. W. Kim and Y. T. Lee, "Development of a Lock-In Amplifier Array for Capacitive Type Pressure Mapping Sensor," J. Semiconductor & Display Technol., vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 63-67, 2017.
- B. M. So, H. K. Kim and W. Y. Han, "Developed High Output Point LED Light Source Module for Fiber Photo Sensor," J. Semiconductor & Display Technol., vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 36-40, 2018.
- C. M. Kim, D. Kim, Y. Kim and G.-T. Kim, "Simple Bluetooth Wireless Multi-gas Measurement System," J. Semiconductor & Display Technol., vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 51-54, 2020.
- M. C. Lee, K. Inoue and M. Cho, "Three-Dimensional Automatic Target Recognition System Based on Optical Integral Imaging Reconstruction," J. Inf. Commun. Converg. Eng., vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 51-56, 2016. https://doi.org/10.6109/jicce.2016.14.1.051
- A. Tar and G. Cserey. "Object Outline and Surface- Trace Detection using Infrared Proximity Array," IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 2486-2493, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2011.2141129
- Z. ZivkovicAir, "Gesture Control Using 5-Pixel Light Sensor," in IEEE Int. Conf. Consum. Electron., Las Vegas, USA, Jan. 2014.
- Y. Han, "A Low-Cost Visual Motion Data Glove as an Input Device to Interpret Human Hand Gesture," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 501-509, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2010.5505962
- J. S. Kim, S. J. Yun and Y. S. Kim, "Low-Power Motion Gesture Sensor with a Partially Open Cavity Package," Optics Express, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 10537-10546, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.24.010537
- K. H. Kong et al, "Single-Package Motion Gesture Sensor for Portable Applications," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 848-853, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2013.6689698
- J. W. Lee and J. H. Nam, "Design of Filter to Reject Motion Artifacts of PPG Signal by Using Two Photosensors," J. Inf. Commun. Converg. Eng., vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 91-95, 2012. https://doi.org/10.6109/jicce.2012.10.1.091