- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study on the Immediate Effect of Single Limb Stance Exercise According to the Supporting Surface on the Dynamic Balance Ability and Abdominal Muscle Thickness of College Students in Their Twenties
지지면에 따른 한 발 서기 운동이 20대 대학생들의 동적 균형 능력과 배 근육 두께에 미치는 즉각적인 효과 비교 연구
- Park, Han-Kyu (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Dongju College) ;
- Lee, Kyung-Soon (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Dongju College) ;
- Park, Jin (Center of Musculoskeletal, Drimsol Hospital)
- 박한규 (동주대학교 물리치료과) ;
- 이경순 (동주대학교 물리치료과) ;
- 박진 (드림솔병원 근골격계센터)
- Received : 2020.10.08
- Accepted : 2020.11.13
- Published : 2021.02.28
Purpose : The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of single limb stance exercise according to the support surface on dynamic balance ability and abdominal muscle thickness. Methods : We recruited 28 healthy subjects in this study. Subjects were assigned to 2 groups by matching method. The control group was 5 males and 9 females, and single limb stance exercise was performed on the stable support surface. The experimental group consisted of 6 males and 8 females, and trained to stand on the unstable support. During the single limb stance exercise, the dominant foot was set as the foot that appeared numerically through the exercise of the dynamic balance meter (Biorescue). Single limb stance exercise along the supporting surface was maintained for 15 seconds and then rested for 15 seconds. It was repeated 5 times. Particularly, the balance exercise on the unstable support surface was sufficiently practiced. Independent t test was performed for comparison between groups. Paired t test was performed to compare before and after each group. Results : There was no difference between the control group and the experimental group in the comparison of dynamic balance ability (p>.05). However, there were significant differences before and after exercise in both the control and experimental groups (p<.05). Similarly, in the comparison of abdominal muscle thickness, there was a significant difference within each group, especially internal oblique and transverse abdominis (p<.05), and no difference between groups (p>.05). Conclusion : Based on these results, although there was no difference between the groups, in the experimental group, numerical increase in dynamic balance ability and abdominal muscle thickness was confirmed. Therefore, single limb stance exercise on the unstable support surfaces activates core muscles and has a positive effect on dynamic balancing ability.
- Anguish B, Sandrey MA(2018). Two 4-week balance-training programs for chronic ankle instability. J Athl Train, 53(7), 662-671. https://doi.org/10.4085/1062-6050-555-16. https://doi.org/10.4085/1062-6050-555-16
- Beaudette SM, Graham RB, Brown SH(2014). The effect of unstable loading versus unstable support conditions on spine rotational stiffness and spine stability during repetitive lifting. J Biomech, 47(2), 491-496. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2013.10.055. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2013.10.055.
- Behm D, Colado JC(2012). The effectiveness of resistance training using unstable surfaces and devices for rehabilitation. Int J Sports Phys Ther, 7(2), 226-241.
- Behm DG, Colado JC(2013). Instability resistance training across the exercise continuum. Sports Health, 5(6), 500-503. https://doi.org/10.1177/1941738113477815. https://doi.org/10.1177/1941738113477815.
- Behm DG, Drinkwater EJ, Willardson JM, et al(2010). The use of instability to train the core musculature. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab, 35(1), 91-108. https://doi.org/10.1139/H09-127. https://doi.org/10.1139/H09-127
- Behm DG, Muehlbauer T, Kibele A, et al(2015). Effects of strength training using unstable surfaces on strength, power and balance performance across the lifespan: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sports Med, 45(12), 1645-1669. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-015-0384-x. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-015-0384-x
- Bohannon RW, Larkin PA, Cook AC, et al(1984). Decrease in timed balance test scores with aging. Phys Ther, 64(7), 1067-1070. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/64.7.1067. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/64.7.1067
- Choi NY(2015). The effects of doing smith machine squat exercise on unstable ground on lower extremity muscle and trunk muscle. Graduate school of Dankook University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Cimadoro G, Paizis C, Alberti G, et al(2013). Effects of different unstable supports on EMG activity and balance. Neurosci Lett, 548, 228-232. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2013.05.025. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2013.05.025
- Colado JC, Borreani S, Pinto SS, et al(2013). Neuromuscular responses during aquatic resistance exercise with different devices and depths. J Strength Cond Res, 27(12), 3384-3390. https://doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e3182915ebe. https://doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e3182915ebe
- David P, Terrien J, Petitjean M(2015). Postural- and respiratory-related activities of abdominal muscles during post-exercise hyperventilation. Gait Posture, 41(4), 899-904. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2015.03.012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2015.03.012
- Gu YM(2016). The effects of maximum expiration and drawing-in on healthy adults' trunk muscle activity and thickness and trunk and pelvic movements. Graduate school of Daegu University, Republic of Korea, Doctoral dissertation.
- Han JH, Lee HJ(2018). The effect of ankle balance training on unstable and stable surface on proprioception, balance and muscle strength in obese middle-aged woman. J Korean Soc Integrative Med, 6(3), 59-71. http://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2018.6.3.059. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2018.6.3.059
- Horak FB, Nashner LM(1986). Central programming of postural movements: adaptation to altered support-surface configurations. J Neurophysiol, 55(6), 1369-1381. https://doi.org/10.1152/jn.19126.96.36.1999. https://doi.org/10.1152/jn.19188.8.131.529
- Houdijk H, Fickert R, van Velzen J, et al(2009). The energy cost for balance control during upright standing. Gait Posture, 30(2), 150-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2009.05.009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2009.05.009
- Hung YJ, Miller J(2016). Extrinsic visual feedback and additional cognitive/physical demands affect single-limb balance control in individuals with ankle instability. World J Orthop, 7(12), 801-807. https://doi.org/10.5312/wjo.v7.i12.801. https://doi.org/10.5312/wjo.v7.i12.801
- Ishida H, Suehiro T, Suzuki K, et al(2018). Muscle thickness and echo intensity measurements of the rectus femoris muscle of healthy subjects: Intra and interrater reliability of transducer tilt during ultrasound. J Bodyw Mov Ther, 22(3), 657-660. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2017.12.005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2017.12.005
- Janda(1983). On the concept of postural muscles and posture in man. Aust J Physiother, 29(3), 83-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0004-9514(14)60665-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0004-9514(14)60665-6
- Jang JY, Kim SY(2016). Effects of trunk control exercise performed on an unstable surface on dynamic balance in chronic stroke patients. J Korean Soc Phys Med, 11(1), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2016.11.1.1. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2016.11.1.1
- Jeong KY, Kim SY(2010). Effect of lumbar stabilizing taping on the electromyographic activation of trunk and gluteal muscles during one-leg standing. J Korean Phys Ther Sci, 17(1), 23-32.
- Ju HP, Choi SA, Jeong DH, et al(2017). Effect of abdominal compression belt on static balance during one leg standing in low back pain patients. PNF and Movement, 15(3), 353-360. https://doi.org/10.21598/JKPNFA.2017.15.3.353. https://doi.org/10.21598/JKPNFA.2017.15.3.353
- Kilroy EA, Crabtree OM, Crosby B, et al(2016). The effect of single-leg stance on dancer and control group static balance. Int J Exerc Sci, 9(2), 110-120.
- Kim GH, Tak JY, Lim HY, et al(2015). Effects of various sensory stimulation on surface area and velocity of center of pressure during one leg standing in healthy adults. Phys Ther Korea, 22(3), 41-49. https://doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2015.22.3.041. https://doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2015.22.3.041
- Kim HS, Lee KC(2019). Effect of support surface form on abdominal muscle thickness during flank exercise. J Korean Soc Integrative Med, 7(3), 197-204. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2019.7.3.197. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2019.7.3.197
- Kim TH, Park HK(2016). Effect of the balance exercise on the unstable surfaces for the vital capacity in healthy adults: a preliminary study. J Korean Soc Integrative Med, 4(3), 17-25. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2016.4.3.017. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2016.4.3.017
- Ku PX, Abu Osman NA, Yusof A, et al(2012). Biomechanical evaluation of the relationship between postural control and body mass index. J Biomech, 45(9), 1638-1642. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2012.03.029. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2012.03.029
- Lee JE, Yi CH, Kwon OY, et al(2015). Dynamic balance and muscle activity of the trunk and hip extensor following the wearing of pelvic compression belt. Phys Ther Korea, 22(1), 49-57. https://doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2015.22.1.049. https://doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2015.22.1.049
- Lee JS(2013). Comparison of core muscle activity on surface conditions and loads during squat exercise. Graduate school of Dankook University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Neumann DA(2010). Kinesiology of the musculoskeletal system: Foundations for physical rehabilitation. 2nd ed, St. Louis, Mosby, pp.479-530.
- Min DK(2014). Trunk stabilization muscle activity in chronic low back pain patients during one leg stance. J Korean Phys Ther Sci, 21(1), 13-20.
- Park HK(2017). The effects of balance training and breathing control training on balance, respiration, muscle activity, and shooting record of adolescent air rifle athletes. Graduate school of Daegu University, Republic of Korea, Doctoral dissertation.
- Rueden CT, Schindelin J, Hiner MC, et al(2017). ImageJ2: ImageJ for the next generation of scientific image data. BMC bioinformatics, 18, Printed Online. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12859-017-1934-z. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12859-017-1934-z
- Sahrmann S, Azevedo DC, Van Dillen L(2017). Diagnosis and treatment of movement system impairment syndromes. Braz J Phys Ther, 21(6), 391-399. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjpt.2017.08.001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjpt.2017.08.001
- Song GB, Park EC(2016). The effects of balance training on balance pad and sand on balance and gait ability in stroke patients. J Korean Soc Phys Med, 11(1), 45-52. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2020.15.2.65. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2020.15.2.65
- Stankovic M, Radenkovic O(2012). The status of balance in preschool children involved in dance program. Res Kinesiol, 40(1), 113-116.
- Sun Z, Wang Y, Ji S, et al(2015). Computer-aided analysis with image J for quantitatively assessing psoriatic lesion area. Skin Res Technol, 21(4), 437-443. https://doi.org/10.1111/srt.12211. https://doi.org/10.1111/srt.12211
- Thomas C, Dos'Santos T, Comfort P, et al(2018). Relationships between unilateral muscle strength qualities and change of direction in adolescent team-sport athletes. Sports, 6(3), 83. https://doi.org/10.3390/sports6030083. https://doi.org/10.3390/sports6030083
- Yoo IG(2016). Effects of dynamic neuromuscular stabilization breathing on core muscles during one-leg standing in patients with mechanical low back pain. Graduate school of Health and Environment Yonsei University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Yu WJ, Lee SH, Park JS, et al(2015). A study of pelvic compression belt effects for adults well-being. J Korea Entertain Industr Assoc, 29(3), 421-428. https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2015.09.9.3.421. https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2015.09.9.3.421