- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Virtual Reality-Based Occupational Therapy Program on the Physical Function and Learning Capacity of School-Age Intellectual Disability Children
가상현실 기반 작업치료프로그램이 학령기 지적장애 아동의 신체기능 및 학습능력에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Ko-Un (Thejalam Sensory Integration Development Research Institute) ;
- Oh, Hye-Won (Dept. of Occupational Therapy, Woosuk University)
- 김고운 (더자람감각통합발달연구소) ;
- 오혜원 (우석대학교 작업치료학과)
- Received : 2020.09.25
- Accepted : 2020.10.30
- Published : 2021.02.28
Purpose : The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of a virtual reality-based occupational therapy program on the physical function and learning ability of intellectually disabled school-aged children. Methods : In this study, 20 intellectually disabled children of school age were randomly and evenly divided into experimental and control groups with children in the experimental group receiving a virtual reality-based occupational therapy intervention. The study adopted a pretest-posttest design. The intervention was conducted for a total of 12 sessions for six weeks, twice a week, and 50 minutes per session. As measurement tools, BOT-2 and grooved pegboard tests were used to compare physical function before and after the intervention program, and K-ABC was used to check changes in learning ability. Results : The occupational therapy program produced a significant improvement in both physical function and learning ability of the experimental group. A significant difference was observed between the experimental and control groups. Conclusion : This study confirmed the value and usefulness of virtual reality-based occupational therapy as a tool for enhancing the physical function and learning ability of intellectually disabled school-aged children. Based on the results, a variety of future studies are encouraged that would further test the effects of the occupational therapy program used here.
- Bai DS, Koo BH(2006). The characteristic of K-ABC-K performance in children with ADHD: descriptive analysis. J Emot Behav Disord, 22(4), 153-183.
- Bruininks RH, Bruininks BD(2005). Bruininks-Oseretsky test of motor proficiency. 2nd ed, Minneapolis, Pearson Assessment, pp.13-72.
- Cho MS(2015). Influence of virtual reality games on eye-hand coordination in children with developmental disordered. J Korean Soc Commu Base Occup, 5(1), 63-69. https://doi.org/10.18598/kcbot.2015.05.01.07. https://doi.org/10.18598/kcbot.2015.05.01.07
- Han JH, Ko JY(2010). Evaluation of balance and activities of daily living in children with spastic cerebral palsy using virtual reality program with electronic games. J Korea Contents Assoc, 10(6), 480-488. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.6.480. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.6.480
- Jang MY, Hoe SY, Kim EK, et al(2009). The effect and satisfaction of the dynamic tripod handwriting assistive tool in normal preschoolers handwriting skills. J Assist Technol, 3(2), 39-53.
- Jo YJ, Hwang BY(2012). The effects of head control training using virtual reality programs on standing balance in children with spastic hemiplegia. J Korea Soc Neurother, 16(1), 45-54. https://doi.org/10.17817/2012.06.12.66. https://doi.org/10.17817/2012.06.12.66
- Joo ES, Bang YS, Hwang MJ(2017). The Effects of cognitive program on cognitive function and vocational competency of an individual with intellectual disability. J Korean Entertain Industr Assoc, 11(6), 255-267. https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2017.08.11.6.255. https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2017.08.11.6.255
- Kim MG, Han KG(2019). Effectiveness of 360-degree virtual reality video as community simulation learning for students with severe and multiple disabilities. Korean J Phys Multi Health Disabil, 62(4), 231-256. https://doi.org/10.20971/kcpmd.2019.62.4.231. https://doi.org/10.20971/kcpmd.2019.62.4.231
- Kim KU, Oh HW(2019). The effects of digital sensory perceptual training on hand function and visual-motor integration in children with developmental disabilities. J Korean Soc Integrative Med, 7(4), 141-150. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2019.7.4.141. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2019.7.4.141
- Kim WR, Koh HJ(2013). Trends and issues in studies of social skills interventions for students with intellectual disabilities. J Mental Retardation, 15(3), 25-55.
- Kim WR, Ok MW(2019). A review of research on using augmented reality and virtual reality for learning achievement and attitude of students with disabilities. KJLD, 16(3), 51-72.
- Kreider CM, Bendixen RM, Huang YY, et al.(2014). Review of occupational therapy intervention research in the practice area of children and youth 2009-2013. Am J Occup Ther, 68(2), e61-e73. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2014.011114. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2014.011114
- Lee HJ, Go JE(2016). Effects of virtual reality based exercise program on gross motor function and balance of children with spastic cerebral palsy. J Korean Soc Integrative Med, 4(4), 53-65. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2016.4.4.053. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2016.4.4.053
- Lee TS, Kim YP(2017). Developing and exploring the possibility of virtual reality based communication training program for students with intellectual disabilities. J Korea Contents Assoc, 17(11), 342-353. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.11.342. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.11.342
- Moon SB, Byun CJ(1997). K-ABC: Kaufman assessment battery for children : interpretive manual. Seoul, Hakjisa, pp.59-60.
- Nintendo(2010). Instruction manual of Wii sports resort. Seoul, Nintendo, pp.1-16.
- Park GT, Jo GR, Lee YH(2015). The effects of bilateral training using virtual reality program on children with cerebral palsy. Korean J Adapt Phys Activity, 23(3), 103-117. https://doi.org/10.17006/kjapa.2015.23.3.103. https://doi.org/10.17006/kjapa.2015.23.3.103
- Park GY, You YH, Kim HJ(2012). Effects of brain-wave training on motor competency in individuals with intellectual disability. Korean J Adapt Phys Activity, 20(1), 111-123. https://doi.org/10.17006/kjapa.2012.20.1.111. https://doi.org/10.17006/kjapa.2012.20.1.111
- Park JS(2010). Implication on definition and classification of intellectual disability in AAIDD 11th. Korean Assoc Intellectual Disabil, 12(4), 1-19.
- Ruff RM, Parker SB(1993). Gender and age-specific changes in motor speed and eye-hand coordination in adults: normative values for the finger tapping and grooved pegboard tests. Percept Mot Skills, 76(3 Pt 2), 1219-1230. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.1993.76.3c.1219. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.1993.76.3c.1219
- Shin MK, Park JH(2016). Effects of a task-oriented intervention on handwriting of school aged children with ADHD: A case study. J Korean Soc Occup Ther, 24(1), 65-74. https://doi.org/10.14519/jksot.2016.24.1.06. https://doi.org/10.14519/jksot.2016.24.1.06
- Weiss PL, Rand D, Katz N, et al(2004). Video capture virtual reality as a flexible and effective rehabilitation tool. J Neuroeng Rehabil, 1(1), Printed Online. https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-0003-1-12. https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-0003-1-12
- Wuang YP, Chiang CS, Su CY, et al(2011). Effectiveness of virtual reality using Wii gaming technology in children with down syndrome. Res Dev Disabil, 32(1), 312-321. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2010.10.002. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2010.10.002
- You YH(2017). The effect of participation in virtual reality sports on exercise commitment and lower extremity muscular function of persons with intellectual disability. Korean J Phys Educ, 56(4), 613-623. https://doi.org/10.23949/kjpe.2017.07.56.4.43. https://doi.org/10.23949/kjpe.2017.07.56.4.43
- Yoon JW, Oh BS, Kim TS(2011). Effect of 8 weeks Nintendo Wii Fit/Sports exercise on body composition and object control function in male high school student with intellectual disability. J Sport Leisure Stud, 46(2), 1099-1108.
- 2019 Statistical Yearbook of Disability, Korea Disabled people's Development Institute, 2019. Available at https://www.koddi.or.kr/data/research01_view.jsp?brdNum=7408254 Accessed August 25, 2020.