- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Fascial Distortion Model on Maximal Grip Strength, Force Sense and Range of Motion
근막변형모델이 최대악력, 힘 감각 그리고 관절가동범위에 미치는 효과
- Kim, Ji-Young (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Masan University) ;
- Kim, Seong-Yeol (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Kyungnam University)
- 김지영 (마산대학교 물리치료학과) ;
- 김성렬 (경남대학교 물리치료학과)
- Received : 2020.11.27
- Accepted : 2020.12.24
- Published : 2021.02.28
Purpose : The fascia is the body's largest sensory organ affected by mechanical stimuli such as pressure. Fascial distortion model (FDM) is one of the fascia treatment techniques, and it is based that most musculoskeletal problems are caused by three-dimensional distortion of the fascia. Until now, some studies have been conducted to investigate the effect of FDM, but it is still not enough. In this study, among the six techniques of FDM, trigger band (TB) and cylinder distortion (CyD) were applied to the forearm to investigate the immediate effect on the maximal grip strength, force sense and range of motion. Methods : 22 healthy adults in their 20s and 30s participated. Before and after the application of FDM, maximal grip strength, force sense and range of motion were measured. For analysis, a paired t-test was performed, and the significance level was set to p<.05. Results : After FDM, there were a significant differences that increased the force sense and the range of motion (p<.05). But the maximal grip strength did not show a significant difference (p>.05). Conclusion : The results of this study, the FDM did not affect maximal grip strength, but it was shown to increase the sense of force and range of motion. We assumed that it is the result of the changes in the states of the fascia and changes in the activity of mechanical receptors induced by pressure and stretch from FDM application.
- Boucher JD, Figueroa J(2018). Restoration of full shoulder range of motion after application of the fascial distortion model. J Am Osteopath Assoc, 118(5), 341-344. https://doi.org/10.7556/jaoa.2018.044. https://doi.org/10.7556/jaoa.2018.044
- Chang HY, Chou KY, Lin JJ, et al(2010). Immediate effect of forearm kinesio taping on maximal grip strength and force sense in healthy collegiate athletes. Phys Ther Sport, 11(4), 122-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ptsp.2010.06.007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ptsp.2010.06.007
- Cho JK, Yoon ES, Park SH(2019). Association of relative handgrip strength with the incidence of metabolic syndrome in Korean adults: a community based cohort study. Exerc Sci, 28(3), 303-310. https://doi.org/10.15857/ksep.2019.28.3.303. https://doi.org/10.15857/ksep.2019.28.3.303
- Choi JH(2020). Effect of taping method using elastic tape and non-elastic tape on pain, grip strength, and muscle activity in middle-aged female patients with lateral epicondylitis. J Korean Soc Phys Med, 15(2), 75-81. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2020.15.2.75. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2020.15.2.75
- Choi WJ(2013). Measurement and assessment. 1st ed, Seoul, PanMun Education, pp.67-68.
- Choung SD, Ha SM, Kim SJ, et al(2012). Effects of stretching extensor carpi radialis with proximal functional massage on pain and strength in patients with lateral epicondylalgia. Phys Ther Korea, 19(1), 66-75. https://doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2012.19.1.066
- Donec V, Varzaityte L, Krisciunas A(2012). The effect of kinesio taping on maximal grip force and key pinch force. Polish Annals Med, 19(2), 98-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.poamed.2012.08.004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.poamed.2012.08.004
- Huang TZ, Kim SY(2020). Effect of diamond taping applied to the elbow joint on wrist extensor muscle activity in healthy subjects. Phys Ther Korea, 27(2), 118-125. https://doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2020.27.2.118. https://doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2020.27.2.118
- Jung JH, Kim YW, Oh SH(2012). Relationship between upper body strength decrement index, peak grip strength, and obesity in adolescents. J Sport Leisure Stud, 50, 991-1001.
- Jung SH, Kim JH(2019). Grip strength as a predictor of cerebrovascular disease. Health Policy Manag, 29(3), 303-311. https://doi.org/10.4332/kjhpa.2019.29.3.303. https://doi.org/10.4332/kjhpa.2019.29.3.303
- Kim JY, Kim SY(2016). Effects of kinesio tape compared with non-elastic tape on hand grip strength. J Phys Ther Sci, 28(5), 1565-1568. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.28.1565. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.28.1565
- Kim MK, Lee WJ(2019). Effect of fascial distortion model on the pain and movement of neck patient. J Kor Phys Ther, 31(1), 24-30. https://doi.org/10.18857/jkpt.2019.31.1.24. https://doi.org/10.18857/jkpt.2019.31.1.24
- Lee JA(2017). Relationship between grip strength and prevalence of hypertension in Korean adults: the sixth Korea national health and nutrition examination survey(2015). Korean Acad Kinesiol, 19(3), 53-60. https://doi.org/10.15758/jkak.2017.19.3.53. https://doi.org/10.15758/jkak.2017.19.3.53
- Lee SE(2014). The relationship between hand grip strength and cognitive function in older adults: the moderating effect of regular exercise. Korean J Comm Living Sci, 25(1), 29-37. https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2014.25.1.29. https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2014.25.1.29
- Lee WH, Ha SM, Kim YW, et al(2007). Influence of muscle fatigue on the sensing of force reproduction in elbow flexors. Phys Ther Korea, 14(3), 16-22.
- Lee WJ(2019). Effect of fascial distortion model on the cobb's angle in adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis. J Korean Phys Ther, 31(1), 31-34. https://doi.org/10.18857/jkpt.2019.31.1.31. https://doi.org/10.18857/jkpt.2019.31.1.31
- Lemos TV, Pereira KC, Protassio CC, et al(2015). The effect of kinesio taping on handgrip strength. J Phys Ther Sci, 27(3), 567-570. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.27.567. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.27.567
- Lesondak D(2017). Fascia: What it is and why it matters. 1st ed, UK, Handspring publishing limited, pp.18-124.
- Maslinski P, Woldanska Okonska M(2017). The use of fascial distorsion model (FDM) in patient with limited mobility in the shoulder joint-a case report. Pol Merkur Lekarski, 42(251), 214-218.
- Mitsukane M, Sekiya N, Himei S, et al(2015). Immediate effects of repetitive wrist extension on grip strength in patients with distal radial fracture. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 96(5), 862-868. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2014.09.024. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2014.09.024
- Mohammadi HK, Khademi Kalantari KK, Naeim SS, et al(2014). Immediate and delayed effects of forearm kinesio taping on grip strength. Iran Red Crescent Med J, 16(8), e19797. https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.19797. https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.19797
- Moon DJ, Kang TS(2015). Literature studies for tennis elbow. J Korean Soc Integrative Med, 3(2), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2015.3.2.001. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2015.3.2.001
- Park JH, Kim K(2012). Initial effects of the non-elastic taping technique on grip strength and EMG in female with lateral epicondylalgia. J Korean Soc Phys Med, 7(4), 525-532. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2012.7.4.525
- Richter D, Karst M, Buhck H, et al(2017). Efficacy of fascial distortion model treatment for acute, nonspecific low-back pain in primary care: a prospective controlled trial. Altern Ther Health Med, 23(5), 113-121.
- Romer F(2013). Practical manual of the fascial distortion model. 1st ed, IFDMO, pp.27-103.
- Schulze C, Finze S, Bader R, et al(2014). Treatment of medial tibial stress syndrome according to the fascial distortion model: a prospective case control study. Scientific World J, 2014, 790626. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/790626. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/790626
- Thalhamer C(2018). A fundamental critique of the fascial distortion model and its application in clinical practice. J Bodyw Mov Ther, 22(1), 112-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2017.07.009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2017.07.009
- Trampisch US, Franke J, Jedamzik N, et al(2012). Optimal Jamar dynamometer handle position to assess maximal isometric hand grip strength in epidemiological studies. J Hand Surg Am, 37(11), 2368-2373. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2012.08.014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2012.08.014