- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Manual Lymphatic Drainage on the Muscle Tone, Pain, and Depression in Patient with Breast Cancer
도수림프배출법이 유방암 환자의 근긴장도, 통증 및 우울증에 미치는 영향
- Ko, Min-Gyun (Dept of Health Administration, Chosun College of Science & Technology)
- 고민균 (조선이공대학교 보건의료행정과)
- Received : 2020.09.01
- Accepted : 2020.11.06
- Published : 2021.02.28
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of manual lymphatic drainage (MLD) methods on muscle tone, pain, and depression in patients with breast cancer. Methods: The study had a two-group pretest-posttest design. A total of 24 patients with breast cancer voluntarily participated in the study. Subjects were randomly assigned to the MLD (n=12) and control (n=12) groups. Measurements of muscle tone, pain, and depression were taken prior to starting the intervention and after completing the 4 week program. The muscle tone, pain, and depression were measured using noninvasive muscle tone measuring equipment, the short-form McGill pain questionnaire, and the Beck depression inventory, respectively. The intervention was performed for 20 minutes a day, three times a week, for four weeks. A paired t-test was used to compare pretest and posttest values within each group, and an independent t-test was used to compare to pretest and posttest changes between the groups. Results: Comparison of the effects within the groups revealed significant reductions in muscle tone, pain, and depression in the MLD group after 4 weeks (p<.05), whereas the control group showed no differences. Comparison of the effects between the groups revealed significantly better reductions in muscle tone, pain, and depression in the MLD group than in the control group after 4 weeks (p<.05). Conclusion: These results suggest that MLD is an effective method for reducing muscle tone, pain, and depression in patients with breast cancer.
- Aggithaya MG, Narahari SR, Ryan TJ(2015). Yoga for correction of lymphedema's impairment of gait as an adjunct to lymphatic drainage: A pilot observational study. Int J Yoga, 8(1), 54-61. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-6131.146063. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-6131.146063
- Beck MF(2010). Theory and practice of therapeutic massage. 5th ed, New York, Cengage Learning, pp.45-46.
- Bortolon C, Krikorian A, Carayol M, et al(2014). Cancer-related fatigue in breast cancer patients after surgery: a multicomponent model using partial least squares-path modeling. Psychooncology, 23(4), 444-451. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.3438. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.3438
- Bray F, Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, et al(2018). Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. CA Cancer J Clin, 68(6), 394-424. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21492. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21492
- Brem S, Kumar NB(2011). Management of treatment-related symptoms in patients with breast cancer. Clin J Oncol Nurs, 15(1), 63-71. https://doi.org/10.1188/11.CJON.63-71. https://doi.org/10.1188/11.CJON.63-71
- Breton JD, Veinante P, Uhl-Bronner S, et al(2008). Oxytocin-induced antinociception in the spinal cord is mediated by a subpopulation of glutamatergic neurons in lamina I-II which amplify GABAergic inhibition. Molecular Pain, 4, 1744-8069. https://doi.org/10.1186/1744-8069-4-19. https://doi.org/10.1186/1744-8069-4-19
- Chung IY, Kang E, Yang EJ, et al(2011). Survey of psychosocial problems facing breast cancer survivors after undergoing a mastectomy and their awareness of breast reconstruction. J Breast Cancer, 14(1), 70-76. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2011.14.S.S70. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2011.14.S.S70
- Dayes IS, Whelan TJ, Julian JA, et al(2013). Randomized trial of decongestive lymphatic therapy for the treatment of lymphedema in women with breast cancer. JCO, 31(30), 3758-3763. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2012.45.7192. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2012.45.7192
- Ezzo J, Manheimer E, McNeely ML, et al(2015). Manual lymphatic drainage for lymphedema following breast cancer treatment. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, (5), 1-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD003475.pub2. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD003475.pub2
- Ganz PA(2015). Improving outcomes for breast cancer survivors: Perspectives on research challenges and opportunities Vol. 862, 1st ed, Berlin, Springer Nature, pp.231-242.
- Gautam AP, Maiya AG, Vidyasagar MS(2011). Effect of home-based exercise program on lymphedema and quality of life in female postmastectomy patients: pre-post intervention study. J Rehabil Res Dev, 48(10), 1261-1268. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2010.05.0089. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2010.05.0089
- Grafton KV, Foster NE, Wright CC(2005). Test-retest reliability of the Short-Form McGill Pain Questionnaire: assessment of intraclass correlation coefficients and limits of agreement in patients with osteoarthritis. Clin J Pain, 21(1), 73-82. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002508-200501000-00009. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002508-200501000-00009
- Gurdal SO, Kostanoglu A, Cavdar I, et al(2012). Comparison of intermittent pneumatic compression with manual lymphatic drainage for treatment of breast cancer-related lymphedema. Lymphat Res Biol, 10(3), 129-135. https://doi.org/10.1089/lrb.2012.0002. https://doi.org/10.1089/lrb.2012.0002
- Hamood R, Hamood H, Merhasin I, et al(2018). Chronic pain and other symptoms among breast cancer survivors: prevalence, predictors, and effects on quality of life. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 167(1), 157-169. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-017-4485-0. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-017-4485-0
- Hawker GA, Mian S, Kendzerska T, et al(2011). Measures of adult pain: Visual Analog Scale for pain (VAS pain), Numeric Rating Scale for pain (NRS pain), McGill pain Questionnaire (MPQ), Short-Form McGill Pain Questionnaire (SF-MPQ), Chronic Pain Grade Scale (CPGS), Short Form-36 Bodily Pain Scale (SF-36 BPS), and Measure of Intermittent and Constant Osteoarthritis Pain (ICOAP). Arthritis Care Res, 63(11), 240-252. https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.20543. https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.20543
- Hermens HJ, Freriks B, Disselhorst-Klug C, et al(2000). Development of recommendations for SEMG sensors and sensor placement procedures. J Electromyogr Kinesiol, 10(5), 361-374. https://doi.org/10.1016/s1050-6411(00)00027-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/s1050-6411(00)00027-4
- Jemal A, Center MM, DeSantis C, et al(2010). Global patterns of cancer incidence and mortality rates and trends. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 19(8), 1893-1907. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-10-0437. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-10-0437
- Kasseroller RG(1998). The Vodder school: the Vodder method. 83(S12B), 2840-2842. https://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1097-0142(19981215)83:12b+<2840::aid-cncr37>3.0.co;2-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1097-0142(19981215)83:12b+<2840::aid-cncr37>3.0.co;2-5
- Kilbreath SL, Refshauge KM, Beith JM, et al(2012). Upper limb progressive resistance training and stretching exercises following surgery for early breast cancer: a randomized controlled trial. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 133(2), 667-676. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-012-1964-1. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-012-1964-1
- Kim SJ(2013). The effects of manual lymph drainage and Swedish abdominal massage on autonomic nervous system and constipation in university student with psychological stress and constipation. Korean J Aesthet Cosmetol, 11(5), 1009-1014.
- Kim SJ(2014). Effects of manual lymph drainage on the activity of sympathetic nervous system, anxiety, pain, and pressure pain threshold in subjects with psychological stress. J Korean Phys Ther, 26(6), 391-397.
- Lee SH, Kim JY, Yeo S, et al(2015). Meta-analysis of massage therapy on cancer pain. Integrative Cancer Therapies, 14(4), 297-304. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735415572885. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735415572885
- Lund I, Yu LC, Uvnas-Moberg K, et al(2002). Repeated massage-like stimulation induces long-term effects on nociception: contribution of oxytocinergic mechanisms. Eur J Neurosci, 16(2), 330-338. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1460-9568.2002.02087.x. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1460-9568.2002.02087.x
- Martin ML, Hernandez MA, Avendano C, et al(2011). Manual lymphatic drainage therapy in patients with breast cancer related lymphoedema. BMC Cancer, 94, Printed Online. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-11-94. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-11-94
- McMahon SB, Koltzenburg M, Tracey I, et al(2013). Wall & Melzack's textbook of pain. 6th ed, Philadelphia, Elsevier Health Sciences, pp.445-454.
- Mullix J, Warner M, Stokes M(2012). Testing muscle tone and mechanical properties of rectus femoris and biceps femoris using a novel hand held MyotonPRO device: relative ratios and reliability. Working Papers in the Health Sciences, 1(1), 1-8.
- Perez CS, das Neves LMS, Vacari AL, et al(2018). Reduction in handgrip strength and electromyographic activity in women with breast cancer. Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation, 31(3), 447-452. https://doi.org/10.3233/BMR-170848. https://doi.org/10.3233/BMR-170848
- Ramos PDS, Cunha IRMM, Rachel MC, et al(2015). Acute cardiovascular responses to a session of manual lymphatic drainage. Fisioterapia em Movimento, 28(1), 41-48. https://doi.org/10.1590/0103-5150.028.001.AO04. https://doi.org/10.1590/0103-5150.028.001.AO04
- Schrale G, Ryan T(2011). Managing oedema and fibrosis with coordinated movement. J Lymphoedema, 6(2), 82-86.
- Secker GA, Harvey NL(2015). Veger signaling during lymphatic vascular development: From progenitor cells to functional vessels. Dev Dyn, 244(3), 323-331. https://doi.org/10.1002/dvdy.24227. https://doi.org/10.1002/dvdy.24227
- Sener HO, Malkoc M, Ergin G, et al(2017). Effects of clinical pilates exercises on patients developing lymphedema after breast cancer treatment: a randomized clinical trial. J Breast Health, 13(1), 16-22. https://doi.org/10.5152/tjbh.2016.3136. https://doi.org/10.5152/tjbh.2016.3136
- Shim JM, Yeun YR, Kim HY, et al(2017). Effects of manual lymph drainage for abdomen on the brain activity of subjects with psychological stress. J Phys Ther Sci, 29(3), 491-494. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.29.491. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.29.491
- Shin HC, Kim CH, Park YW, et al(2000). Validity of Beck Depression Inventory(BDI): detection of depression in primary care. Journal of the Korean Academy of Family Medicine, 21(11), 1451-1465.
- Stubblefield MD, Custodio CM(2006). Upper-extremity pain disorders in breast cancer. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 87(3), 96-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2005.12.017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2005.12.017
- Uzkeser H, Karatay S, Erdemci B, et al(2015). Efficacy of manual lymphatic drainage and intermittent pneumatic compression pump use in the treatment of lymphedema after mastectomy: a randomized controlled trial. Breast Cancer, 22(3), 300-307. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-013-0481-3. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-013-0481-3
- Warren LE, Miller CL, Horick N, et al(2014). The impact of radiation therapy on the risk of lymphedema after treatment for breast cancer: a prospective cohort study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 88(3), 565-571. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2013.11.232. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2013.11.232
- Yang EJ, Park WB, Seo KS, et al(2010). Longitudinal change of treatment-related upper limb dysfunction and its impact on late dysfunction in breast cancer survivors: a prospective cohort study. J Surg Oncol, 101(1), 84-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.21435. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.21435
- National Cencer Center. Annual report of cancer statstics in Korea in 2017, 2020. Available at https://ncc.re.kr/cancerStatsView.ncc?bbsnum=518&searchKey=total&searchValue=&pageNum=1/ Accessed July 3, 2020.