- Volume 9 Issue 1
Purpose : This study examined the factors related to sexual intercourse among adolescents in South Korea. Methods : The study sample was comprised of 65,528 middle and high school students aged 12 to 18 years in 2016. For this study, using the data from the 12th Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey, a chi-squared test, and hierarchical logistic regression analysis we reconducted with the SPSS 22.0 program considering personal, family, school, and regional characteristics. Results : The proportion of adolescents who had sexual intercourse was 6.0 % of boys and 2.7 % of girls, and 6.3 % of high school students and 2.4 % of middle school students. The statistically significant related factors of sexual intercourse were gender, grade, attempted suicide, ever drinking, ever smoking, habitual or purposeful drug use, weekly allowance, and coed school in the final model 4. Adolescents with suicide attempts had 2.49 times more sexual intercourse than adolescents with no experience of suicide attempts. Compared to adolescents without alcohol, smoking, and habitual drug use, those who have experienced alcohol, smoking, habitual or purposeful drug use were 2.22 times, 3.76 times, and 3.39 times more likely to have had sexual intercourse, respectively. Adolescents with a weekly allowance of more than 100,000 won per week and adolescents in coed schools were 2.84 times and 1.40 times more likely to have had sexual intercourse, respectively. Conclusion : Multi-level interventions should be considered in school sexual education programs while considering the substantiality of sex education and the actual adolescents' needs. In addition, sexual health interventions in cyberspace for high-risk groups may be needed to consider the emotional and mental characteristics, given the factors related to sexual intercourse in adolescents.
- Boo YJ, Kang MJ, Yi JS(2017). Factors related to adolescents' sexual experience. J Korean Soc Sch Health, 30(2), 154-163. https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2017.30.2.154
- Cho ES(2013). Associations between the internet pornography preference and adolescents risk sexual behavior focused on gender difference. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 20(10), 291-314.
- Cho YJ, Kim DS, Nam-Gung YY, et al(2018). A study on demand survey on sexuality education for youth. Korean Women's Development Institute.
- Choi JY, Chung DH(2016). Influence of sexual attitudes, personal relations, and mobile media on the sexual behavior of adolescents. Information Society and Media, 17(2), 1-34.
- Gwon SH, Lee JY(2015). Factors that influence sexual intercourse among middle school students: using data from the 8th (2012) Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey. J Korean Acad Nurs, 45(1), 76-83. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.1.76. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.1.76
- Hallfors DD, Waller MW, Ford CA, et al(2004). Adolescent depression and suicide risk; association with sex and drug behavior. Am J Prev Med, 27(3), 224-231. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2004.06.001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2004.06.001
- Jang HS(2010). The effect of achievement of development tasks in adolescence on 5-factor personality characteristics, self-esteem and happiness. Korean J Dev Psychol, 23(2), 1-17.
- Jang IS, Choi EH(2020). Trends in sexual intercourse, sex education experience, and contraception among adolescents in Korea: based on Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey from 2006 to 2019. J Korean Soc Sch Health, 33(2), 79-88. https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2020.33.2.79. https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2020.33.2.79
- Jo JY, Kim YH(2006). A path model of self, family, & extra familial system factors associated with adolescents' sexual risk behaviors. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 44(3), 181-195.
- Kim HS(2015). Effects of sexual intercourse on suicidal behaviors among adolescents in South Korea. J Korean Acad Nurs, 45(2), 183-191. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.2.183. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.2.183
- Kim HW(2003). The relationships among sexual knowledge, attitudes, behaviors of male and female high school students. Korean J Counsel Psychotherapy, 15(2), 309-328.
- Kim JS, Cho SW(2010). An analysis of current status of sexual behaviors and consciousness about sex of adolescents: On adolescents including elementary school students. Journal of School Social Work, 19, 61-87.
- Kim MY, Son HS(2017). A study on influencing factors of sexual experience among Korea middle school students. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 17(13), 611-630. https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2017.17.13.611. https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2017.17.13.611
- Kim JY, Lee DE, Chung YK(2013). The impact of academic stress on delinquent behavior-focusing on the mediating effect of depression. J Korean Soc Matern Child Health, 41, 101-123.
- Lee GY(2016). Sexual behaviors and sexual experience of adolescents in Korea. Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 17(12), 71-80. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.12.71. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.12.71
- Lee HN, Cho HY(2020). A convergence study on difference of health behaviors depending on wether sexual experiences of adolescents. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 11(3), 145-152. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2020.11.3.145
- Lee JM, Kim HW(2001). Characteristics, problems, and future directions of school sex-education for teenagers on regarding with the teenagers' sexual behaviors and past school sex-education for teenagers. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 8(1), 117-142.
- Lee MS, Kim EY, Chun BC, et al(2000). Risk factors related to adolescent sexual activity. J Korean Soc Matern Child Health, 4(2), 199-217.
- Nam ME, Hong BS(2012). The relationship between adolescents' exposure to internet pornography and deviant sexual activities: Focusing on mediated effects of perceptional factors. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 19(9), 93-124.
- Park IH, So CH, Cho JI, et al(2012). Obstetric and neonatal outcomes of teenage pregnancies. J Korean Soc of Neonatol, 19(3), 127-133. https://doi.org/10.5385/jksn.2012.19.3.127. https://doi.org/10.5385/jksn.2012.19.3.127
- Pyo EY, An JY, Jeong JO, et al(2016). Effects of drinking, smoking and drug use experience on adolescents' sexual intercourse: Using the data of the Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey from 2010 to 2014. J Korean Soc Sch Health, 29(3), 299-309. https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2016.29.3.299
- Peltzer K(2010). Early sexual debut and associated factors among in school adolescents in eight African countries. Acta Paediatr, 99(8), 1242-1247. https://doi.org/10.1111/J.1651-2227.2010.01874.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1651-2227.2010.01874.x
- Rew L, Carver T, Li CC(2011). Early and risky sexual behavior in a sample of rural adolescents. Issues Compr Pediatr Nurs, 34(4), 189-204. https://doi.org/10.3109/01460862.2011.619861. https://doi.org/10.3109/01460862.2011.619861
- Tapert SF, Aarons GA, Sedlar GR, et al(2001). Adolescent sub stance use and sexual risk-taking behavior. The Journal of Adolescent Health, 28(3), 181-189. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(00)00169-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(00)00169-5
- Yu JO, Kim HH, Kim JS(2014). Factors associated with sexual debut among Korean middle school students. Child Health Nurs Res, 20(3), 159-167. https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2014.20.3.159. https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2014.20.3.159
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The 15th Korea Youth Risk Behavior Online Survey, 2019. Available at http://www.cdc.go.kr/ Accessed September 20, 2020.