- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Survey on the Awareness of Occupational Therapists by the Adult Day Care Center Staff in Korea: Focusing on Managers or Center Directors
국내 노인 주간보호시설 종사자의 작업치료사에 대한 인식조사 : 관리자 또는 시설장을 중심으로
- Kim, Min-Ho (Universal Occupational Therapy Institute) ;
- Park, Sung-Ho (Dept. of Occupational Therapy, Kyungnam College of Information & Technology)
- 김민호 (유니버셜작업치료연구소) ;
- 박성호 (경남정보대학교 작업치료과)
- Received : 2020.11.04
- Accepted : 2020.12.24
- Published : 2021.02.28
Purpose : This study aims to investigate the awareness of occupational therapists among managers and directors of adult day care centers in Korea to explore the cause of the low employment rate of these therapists and offer the results as basic data that can be used to expand occupational therapy at adult day care centers. Methods : This study collected data by conducting an online questionnaire with managers and directors of adult day care centers located in Seoul, Busan, Incheon, Daejeon, Gwangju, and Ulsan. A total of 70 completed questionnaires were divided into two groups a 'group with experience in occupational therapy information (OT experience)' and a 'group with no experience in occupational therapy information (OT inexperience)' and analyzed. Results : First, the 'OT experience' was found to have higher levels of awareness of the scope of work of occupational therapists than the 'OT inexperience'. Second, significant differences were found in the degree of awareness and necessity of occupational therapists and plans to employ occupational therapists later between the 'OT experience' and the 'OT inexperience'. Third, it was shown that there were significant correlations between whether the respondents were familiar with occupational therapy and the degree of awareness and necessity of occupational therapists and plans to employ occupational therapists later. Conclusion : Based on these findings, the following measures are recommended to expand the area of occupational therapy in adult day care centers, the need for occupational therapists should be mentioned in the health and welfare-related education for workers at these adult day care centers, policies such as a medical fee system for occupational therapy at these adult day care centers should be prepared.
- Cho ML(2019). Research on the recognition of freshmen in the department of occupational therapy about occupational therapist's job. J Occup Ther Aged Dementia, 13(1), 71-79.
- Ham MJ, Kim SK, Yoo DH, et al(2018). The effects of a multi-modal interventional program on cognitive function, instrumental activities of daily living in patients with mild alzheimer's disease. J Korean Soc Occup Ther, 26(1), 91-102. https://doi.org/10.14519/jksot.2018.26.1.07. https://doi.org/10.14519/jksot.2018.26.1.07
- Kim MH, Park SH(2020). A study of occupational therapy at adult day care center. J Korean Soc Integrative Med, 8(1), 219-228. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2020.8.1.219. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2020.8.1.219
- Kim SH, Jung JH(2013). The correlation between cognitive function and basic activities of daily living of the elderly people with dementia in the residential care facilities. J Occup Ther Aged Dementia, 7(1), 57-67.
- Kwag SW, Na HJ, Kwang SW, et al(2014). Systematic review about occupational therapy interventions applied to the improvement of activities of daily living in dementia patients. J Korean Clin Health Sci, 2(1), 35-45. https://doi.org/10.15205/kschs.2014.2.1.35. https://doi.org/10.15205/kschs.2014.2.1.35
- Lee HS(2011). A survey of the core job of occupational therapists and their different job tasks depending on the therapist's experience in years and different treatment areas. J Korean Soc Occup Ther, 19(1), 1-14.
- Lee EY, Jeong SH, Jeong HE, et al(2017). Correlation between awareness and interest in occupational therapy in high school students in Daejeon and Chungcheong provinces. J Korean Acad Ment health Occup Ther, 7(1), 1-10.
- McCann JJ, Hebert LE, Li Y, et al(2005). The effect of adult day care services on time to nursing home placement in older adults with Alzheimer's disease. Gerontologist, 45(6), 754-763. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/45.6.754. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/45.6.754
- Mo JA, Lim JY(2015). Effectiveness of community-based cognitive rehabilitation program on demented individuals: systematic review and meta analysis. J Korean Acad Soc Home Care Nurs, 22(2), 196-205.
- Park YH(2007). The current status of adult day care in Korea: operation, staffing, and service. J Korean Acad Nurs, 37(4), 613-623. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.4.613. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.4.613
- Schmediler J, Mohs RC, Aryan M(1998). Relationship of disease severity to decline on specific cognitive and functional measures in Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord, 12(3), 146-151. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002093-199809000-00005. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002093-199809000-00005
- Shin JI, Yang YA(2009). A study on the present status of occupational therapy and physical therapy present status in day care center for the elderly in Seoul. J Korean Assoc Occup Ther Policy Aged Ind, 1(1), 11-19.
- Shin WM, Kim YJ, Lee YJ, et al(2020). A study on the needs of occupational therapist for cognitive activity program. J Occup Ther Aged Dementia, 14(1), 81-91. https://doi.org/10.34263/jsotad.2020.14.1.81. https://doi.org/10.34263/jsotad.2020.14.1.81
- Song BN, Kang JH, Lee JS(2015). A meta-analysis on the effects of occupational therapy program intervention for dementia in the community. J Korean Soc Occup Ther, 23(1), 53-71. https://doi.org/10.14519/jksot.2015.23.1.05. https://doi.org/10.14519/jksot.2015.23.1.05
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Community integrated care basic plan, 2018. Available at http://www.mohw.go.kr/react/modules/download.jsp?BOARD_ID=140&CONT_SEQ=346683&FILE_SEQ=241705 Accessed August 06, 2020.
- National Health Insurance Corporation. Manual for person centered cognitive support service, 2019. Available at http://www.longtermcare.or.kr/npbs/d/m/000/moveBoardView?menuId=npe0000000980&bKey=B0068&zoomSize= Accessed August 06, 2020.
- National Statistical Office. Cause of elderly population statistics result 2018 Year, 2018. Available at https://www.kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/1/1/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=370779 Accessed August 06, 2020.