- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study of the Knowledge and Educational Needs of College Students about Coronavirus Disease-2019 and Preventive Behavior Adopted Against it
코로나바이러스감염증-19(COVID-19)에 대한 대학생의 지식, 교육요구도 및 예방행위 수행도
- Kim, Jin-Hee (Dept. of Nursing, Doowon Technical University) ;
- Yun, Jung-Sook (Dept. of Nursing, Doowon Technical University) ;
- Park, Jae-Young (Dept. of Architecture & Interior Design, Doowon Technical University)
- 김진희 (두원공과대학교 간호학과) ;
- 윤정숙 (두원공과대학교 간호학과) ;
- 박재영 (두원공과대학교 건축디자인학과)
- Received : 2021.01.07
- Accepted : 2021.02.05
- Published : 2021.02.28
Purpose : The first case of coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19) disease outbreak in Korea occurred in January 2020, and the cumulative number of confirmed cases by the Central Defense Response Headquarters of the Quality Management Administration as of November 30 was 34,201. Looking at the incidence trend of domestic confirmed cases by age, the incidence rate of COVID-19 in the age group of 20-29 years, which corresponds to college students, was 27.4 %, the highest compared by age group. Considering the current status of the infection rate, universities will become the centers of new COVID-19 cases if face-to-face lectures are recommenced without preparatory measures and analysis of infection prevention (e.g., infection awareness and education for university students). Thus, this study intended to investigate the level of knowledge, educational needs, and preventive behavior performance of college students about COVID-19 and provide basic data for the development of an education program for the prevention of COVID-19 for college students. Methods : This study is a descriptive correlational study aimed to investigate the correlation between knowledge about COVID-19, educational needs, and degree of preventive behavior performance in 407 college students attending one University in Gyeonggi-do. Results : The subjects' knowledge score about COVID-19 was 12.46±1.39 points, average educational needs score was 29.16±3.14 points, and prevention behavior performance survey result was 35.50±3.61 points. Moreover, positive correlation was observed between the knowledge about COVID-19 and educational needs (r=.203, p<.001) and knowledge and preventive behavior performance (r=.140, p=.005). Further, educational needs and preventive behavior performance demonstrated a statistically significant positive relationship (r=.311, p<.001). Conclusion : Therefore, organizing an educational program to acquire accurate knowledge is necessary to make it a habit for college students to practice preventive behavior against COVID-19.
- Back SH, Kim JS(2017). Child daycare teachers' role perception, knowledge, self-confidence and educational needs regarding infectious disease management in children. J Korea Contents Assoc, 17(7), 253-264. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.07.253. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.07.253
- Bloomfield SF, Aiello A, Cookson B, et al(2007). The effectiveness of hand hygiene procedures including handwashing and alcohol-based hand sanitizers in reducing the risks of infections in home and community settings. Am J Infect Control, 35(10) suppl 1, S27-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2007.07.001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2007.07.001
- Cheng VC, Wong SC, Chuang VW, et al(2020). The role of community-wide wearing of face mask for control of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) epidemic due to SARS-CoV-2. J Infect, 81(1), 107-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinf.2020.04.024. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinf.2020.04.024
- Choi JS, Yang NY(2010). Perceived knowledge, attitude, and compliance with preventive behavior on influenza A (H1N1) by university students. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs, 22(3), 250-259.
- Choi JY(2016). Nurse's knowledge, attitude and use of personal protective equipment related to acute respiratory infections. Graduate school of Yonsei University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Greenhalgh T, Schmid MB, Czypionka T, et al(2020). Face masks for the public during the covid-19 crisis. BMJ, 369 m1435. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m1435. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m1435
- Hong MS, Yeo HN(2020). Study on the correlation between personal hygiene education experience and hand washing performance in school in accordance with the characteristics of adolescent. J Hum Soc Sci 21, 11(1), 553-564. https://doi.org/10.22143/HSS126.96.36.199. https://doi.org/10.22143/HSS188.8.131.52
- Ji YJ(2018). Nurses' knowledge, educational needs, and practice regarding MERS infection control. Graduate school of Wosuk University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Jun BY(2015). Middle east respiratory syndrome outbreak and infectious disease control in Korea. J Korean Med Assoc, 58(7), 590-593. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2015.58.7.590. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2015.58.7.590
- June KJ, Choi ES(2016). Infection control of hospital nurses: cases of middle east respiratory syndrome. Korean J Occup Health Nurs, 25(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.1.1. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.1.1
- Kim HH(2017a). A study of the knowledge, awareness and performance of the infection control among nurses in long-term care hospital. Graduate school of Dong-eui University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Kim HS, Park JH(2018). Predictors of MERS-related preventive behaviors performance among clinical practice students in a Tertiary hospital. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 19(9), 174-185. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.9.174. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.9.174
- Kim JG(2019a). Gender and age differences in hand hygiene practices among the general population. J Environ Health Sci, 45(3), 213-221. https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2019.45.3.213. https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2019.45.3.213
- Kim JY(2017b). Nurses' experience of middle east respiratory syndrome patients care. J Korea Acad-Industr Cooper Soc, 18(10), 185-196. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.10.185. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.10.185
- Kim SH(2019b). A comparative study on the food hygiene attitude and personal hygiene management of high school students according to gender. J Korea Acad-Industr Cooper Soc, 20(4), 207-213. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2019.20.4.207. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2019.20.4.207
- Kim SJ, Song RY(2018). Knowledge and practice of middle east respiratory syndrome isolation precaution among hospital nurses. Korean Acad Fundam Nurs, 25(1), 46-57. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2018.25.1.46. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2018.25.1.46
- Kim SK(2015). Healthcare workers infected with middle east respiratory syndrome coronavirus and infection control. J Korean Med Assoc, 58(7), 647-654. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2015.58.7.647. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2015.58.7.647
- Kwon JY, Lim GY, Kim SH, et al(2020). Risk awareness to COVID-19 and wear behavior of protective masks between adults and adolescent living in Seoul and Gyunggi province. Korean J Commun Living Sci, 31(3), 335-351. https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2020.31.3.335. https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2020.31.3.335
- Lee JY, Park J, Baek YJ, et al(2020). Regional and sex differences in cognition and wear behavior concerning fine-dust protective masks during high concentration days. J Korean Soc Cloth Tex, 44(3), 516-538. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2020.44.3.516. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2020.44.3.516
- Lim KC(2011). Reliability and validity of K-CHAMPS questionnaire for older Koreans. J Korean Gerontol Nurs, 13(2), 142-153.
- Lee MR, So HY, Cho MK(2005). Determinants of nurses' handwashing practice. J Korean J Adult Nurs, 17(2), 268-275.
- Nour MO, Babilghith AO, Natto HA, et al(2015). Knowledge and attitude and practices of healthcare providers towards MERS-CoV infection at Makkah hospitals, KSA. Int Res J Med Med Sci, 3(4), 103-112.
- Park DS(2018). The effect of nosocomial infection control education program: systematic review and meta-analysis. Graduate school of Korea University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Park JH, Chang SJ, Kim KS(2017). Correlation between the preventive behaviors on middle east respiratory syndrome and the knowledge, attitude, and compliance of medically inclined college students. J Dent Hyg Sci, 17(4), 341-351. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.4.341. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.4.341
- Ryu SM, Kong JH, Choi HO(2018). Factors affecting nursing college students' adherence to prevention compliance behavior of blood-born infection. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 19(8), 220-229. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.8.220. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.8.220
- Yang NY, Lee MS, Hong JY, et al(2014). Related factors of hand washing with soap and its practices by students in South Korea. J Korean Public Health Nurs, 28(2), 372-386. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2014.28.2.372. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2014.28.2.372
- Hong JY. Conducting survey on behaviors of cough etiquette and developing promotion campaign for preventing respiratory infectious disease. Korea disease control and prevention agency. 11-1352159-000140-01, 2015. Available at http://www.cdc.go.kr/board.es?mid=a40801000000&bid=0050&act=view&list_no=61793.May 05, 2020.
- Korea disease control and prevention agency. Current status of COVID-19 in Korea, 2020a. Available at http://ncov.mohw.go.kr/tcmBoardView.do?contSeq=361398/ Accessed December 01, 2020.
- Korea disease control and prevention agency. Current status of COVID-19 in Korea, 2020b. Available at http://ncov.mohw.go.kr/tcmBoardView.do?contSeq=354218/ Accessed December 01, 2020.