- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Case-Based Learning on Problem-Solving Ability, Self-Directed Learning Ability, and Academic Self-Efficacy
사례기반학습이 간호대학생의 문제해결능력, 자기주도학습능력과 학업적자기효능감에 미치는 효과
- Kim, Ji-Suk (Dept. of Nursing, Uiduk University) ;
- Choi, Hee-Jung (Dept. of Nursing, Uiduk University)
- 김지숙 (위덕대학교 간호학과) ;
- 최희정 (위덕대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2021.01.21
- Accepted : 2021.02.10
- Published : 2021.02.28
Purpose : The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of case-based learning application in human growth development classes on nursing students' problem-solving ability, self-directed learning ability, and academic self-efficacy. Methods : The research method was a self-report questionnaire before and after case-based learning for second-year nursing students who took the human growth development course at U University in K city. The collected data were statistically processed using SPSS WIN 21.0. Results : The results of the study showed that after case-based learning, problem-solving ability, self-directed learning ability, and academic self-efficacy were all significantly improved. In addition, as a result of examining the correlation between each variable after case-based learning, problem solving ability score and self-directed learning ability score (r=.54, ｐ<.01), and problem solving ability scores and academic self-efficacy scores (r=.44, ｐ<.01), were significantly correlated with self-directed learning ability scores and the academic self-efficacy reduction scores (r=.76, ｐ<.01). Conclusion : The results of this study suggested the need for various learning programs such as case-based learning to improve nursing students' problem-solving abilities and self-directed learning abilities and their application. In addition, to improve the learning self-efficacy of nursing students, a continuous and systematic study is suggested to develop and apply customized educational programs according to the learners' preferences. Since the sample group in this study was limited to one university, there were few cases and no control group, so there are limitations in generalizing the test effect, However, significant differences a were verified in the case-based learning pre-tests and post-tests.
- Ji YR, Chung HM(2014). Effects of case-based learning on task achievement and learning satisfaction in the university class. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 14(9), 243-265.
- Jung CS(2017). The effects of a self-directed learning-enhancement program on nursing students' self-directed learning abilities, self-efficacy, empowerment, and clinical practice competency. Asia-Pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology. 7(10), 319-329. https://doi.org/10.14257/ajmahs.2017.10.47. https://doi.org/10.14257/ajmahs.2017.10.47
- Kwak EM(2017). Effects of team - based learning using visual media analysis on learning attitude, self - directed learning, critical thinking of nursing students. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 17(22), 915-931. https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2017.17.22.915. https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2017.17.22.915
- Kang KS(2018). The effects of problem based learning on mental health nursing on meta cognition, critical thinking and problem solving. Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Association, 12(8), 231-240. https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2018.12.12.8.231. https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2018.12.12.8.231
- Kim AY, Park IY(2001). Development and validation of academic self-efficacy. Korean Journal of Educational Research, 39(1), 95-123.
- Kim DH, Park JY, Lee NY(2012). Factors influencing problem solving ability among nursing students. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 14(3), 1551-1563.
- Kim JA(2015). Effects of case-based learning on the problem solving ability, intrinsic motivation, and course satisfaction of nursing students. Education Method Research, 27(1), 21-38. https://doi.org/10.17927/tkjems.2015.27.1.21. https://doi.org/10.17927/tkjems.2015.27.1.21
- Kim JH, Kwon GG, Lee SH(2017). Factors influencing problem solving abilities of nursing students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(4), 295-307. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.295. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.295
- Kim JS, Kim YH(2016). The effects of simulation practice education applying problem-based learning on problem solving ability, critical thinking and learning satisfaction of nursing students. Korea Contents Association, 16(12), 203-212. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.12.203. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.12.203
- Kim NH, Park JY, Jun SE(2015). The effects of case-based learning (CBL) on learning motivation and learning satisfaction of nursing students in a human physiology course. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 17(1), 78-87. https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2015.17.1.78. https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2015.17.1.78
- Kim MY, Byeon EK(2019). Influence of academic self-efficacy, critical thinking disposition, and learning motivation on problem solving ability in nursing students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 20(1), 376-383. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2019.20.1.376. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2019.20.1.376
- Kim SH(2012). (The) effects of blended case-based learning on cognitive problem-solving and social problem-solving. Graduate school of Kookmin University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Kim YH, Kim YA(2016). The influence of academic self-efficacy, and critical thinking disposition on problem solving ability of nursing students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 17(9), 589-598. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.9.589. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.9.589
- Kim YM(2010). Factors influencing problem solving abilities of freshmen nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(2), 190-197. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.2.190. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.2.190
- Lanfang Liu, Mengqian Li, Qiaoling Zheng, et al(2020). The effects of case-based teaching in nursing skill education: cases do matter. The Journal of Health Care Organization, Provision, and Financing, 57, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/0046958020964421. https://doi.org/10.1177/0046958020964421
- Lee GH, Kim JY(2014). A study on the relationships between academic self-efficacy, learning motivation, course satisfaction, and academic achievement of college students. Andragogy today : International Journal of Adult & Continuing Education, 17(4), 33-57.
- Lee MH, Park MS(2016). The effect of case-based learning (CBL) on critical thinking disposition, communication ability, problem solving ability and self-directed learning ability of nursing students in pathophysiology course. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 18(3), 176-184. https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2016.18.3.176. https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2016.18.3.176
- Lee SJ, Kim JK, Kim WJ(2020). The effects of self-induced learning ability and academic self-efficacy on critical thinking propensity of nursing college students. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 20(14), 1251-1265.
- Lee SJ, Jang YK, Lee HA, et al(2003). A study on the development of life-skills: Communication, problem solving, and self-directed learning. Korean Educational Development Institue, Seoul, pp.97-103.
- Lee WS, Cho KC, Yang SH, et al(2009). Effects of problem-based learning combined with simulation on the basic nursing competency of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 16(1), 64-72.
- Ma RW, Lee EJ(2017). Factors affecting academic self-efficacy in nursing students. Asia-Pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, 7(10), 521-531. https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2017.10.90. https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2017.10.90
- Minghong Bi, Zhibiao Zhao, Jingru Yang, et al.(2019). Comparison of case-based learning and traditional method in teaching postgraduate students of medical oncology. Medical Teacher, 41(10), 1124-1128. https://doi.org/10.1080/0142159X.2019.1617414. https://doi.org/10.1080/0142159X.2019.1617414
- Moon MY(2020). Influence of empathic ability and self-efficacy on problem solving ability in nursing students. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 20(3), 277-292. https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2020.20.3.277. https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2020.20.3.277
- Oh JA, Im MH, No HR(2014). Development of cinenurducation based on Kolb's experiential learning model for understanding child growth and development. Child Health Nursing Research, 20(2), 96-104. https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2014.20.2.96. https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2014.20.2.96
- Park MH(2019). Influence of nursing students' problem solving process, critical thinking disposition, self-efficacy on clinical competence. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 19(22), 631-649. https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2019.19.22.631. https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2019.19.22.631
- Seong GM, Hyun MS, Shin HS, et al(2017). Human growth and development: theory & practice. 2nd ed, Seoul, Komoonsa.
- Shim M, Oh H(2012). Influence of self efficacy, learning motivation, and self-directed learning on problem-solving ability in nursing students. Korea Contents Association, 12(6), 328-337. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.06.328. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.06.328
- Yang SH, Sim IO(2016). Relationship between problem solving ability, critical thinking disposition, creativity, self efficacy and nursing process competence of nursing students. Korea Contents Association, 16(5), 612-622. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.05.612. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.05.612