- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of Water Extract of Sparasis crispa on the Expression of TNF-α, iNOS and IL-1β Genes in RAW 264.7 Cells
꽃송이버섯 추출물이 RAW 264.7 세포에서 TNF-α, iNOS, IL-1β 유전자 발현에 미치는 영향
- Han, Hyo-Sang (Dept. of Health Administration, Joongbu University)
- 한효상 (중부대학교 보건행정학과)
- Received : 2021.01.07
- Accepted : 2021.02.19
- Published : 2021.02.28
Purpose : The purpose of this study was to examine the anti-inflammatory effects of Sparassis crispa (SC). SC is a well-known traditional herbal remedy and its mushroom is used for treatment of inflammation. Many diseases that are increasing recently have characteristics of inflammatory diseases. Researchers are finding bioactive substances from natural products that can promote treatment and prevention of inflammation. We investigated the effect of water extracted from SC on the expression of effector genes involved in the function of RAW 264.7 cells. Methods : Effects of RAW 264.7 cells on cell viability, antioxidation, and mRNA expression were examined using water extracts from SC. A 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-5-(3-carboxymethoxyphenyl)-2-(4-sulfophenyl)-2H-tetrazolium (MTS) assay was performed to determine the effect of water extracts from SC on cell viability in RAW 264.7 cells. Inflammation of RAW 264.7 cells induced by lipopolysaccharide (LPS) treatment and expression levels of inflammatory cytokine TNF-α, iNOS and IL-1β gene were analyzed using quantitative reverse transcription PCR (qRT-PCR) analysis. Results : The MTS assay was performed on RAW 264.7 cells after treatment with various concentrations of water extracts of SC. Treatment of RAW 264.7 cells with water extracts from SC and LPS at a concentration of 0.125, 0.5 mg/㎖ for twenty four hours promoted mRNA expression of TNF-α, iNOS and IL-1β. Conclusion : MTS assay was applied to RAW 264.7 cells after various concentrations of water extracts of SC. Through experimental demonstration of anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of water extracts from SC, we suggest that SC is a valuable material for the prevention and treatment of various inflammatory diseases.
- Cho HJ(2012). Studies on antitumor, immunopotentiating and antityrosinase effects of Sparassis crispa. Graduate school of Incheon University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Dai X, Medzhitov R(2017). Inflammation: memory beyond immunity. Nature, 550(7677), 460-461. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature24154. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature24154
- George DK, Lionel BI(2016). TNF biology, pathogenic mechanisms and emerging therapeutic strategies. Nat Rev Rheumatol, 12(1), 49-62. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrrheum.2015.169. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrrheum.2015.169
- Kim EJ, Yoo KH, Kim YS, et al(2015). Biological activities of wild Sparassis crispa extracts. Kor J Mycology, 43(1), 40-46. https://doi.org/10.4489/KJM.2015.43.1.40. https://doi.org/10.4489/KJM.2015.43.1.40
- Kim EN, Roh SS, Jeong GS(2018). Inhibitory effect of Sparassis crispa (Wulf.) extract on monosodium iodoacetate induced osteoarthritis. Kor J Pharmacogn, 49(3), 262-269.
- Kim IK, Yun YC, Shin YC, et al(2013). Effect of Sparassis crispa extracts on immune cell activation and tumor growth inhibition. J Life Sci, 23(8), 984-988. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2013.23.8.984. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2013.23.8.984
- Kim YS, Seok SJ, Park YJ(2017). Korea's mushroom encyclopedia. 2nd ed, Goyang, Publishing puleunhaengbog, pp.16-17, pp.250-251.
- Kimura T, Hashimoto M, Yamada M, et al(2013). Sparassis crispa (Hanabiratake) ameliorates skin conditions in rats and humans. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem, 77(9), 1961-1963. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.130185. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.130185
- Kuprash DV, Nedospasov SA(2016). Molecular and cellular mechanisms of inflammation. Biochemistry, 81(11), 1237-1239. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0006297916110018. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0006297916110018
- Lee DS, Kim KH, Yook HS(2016). Antioxidant activities of different parts of Sparassis crispa depending on extraction temperature. Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr, 45(11), 1617-1622. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.11.1617. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.11.1617
- Lee MA, Park JK, Um MH, et al(2012). Lipolytic effect of Sparassis crispa extracts in differentiated 3T3-L1 cells and high fat diet-induced obese mic. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nut, 41(12), 1708-1715. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.12.170. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.12.170
- Lee ML, Hou JG, Begum S, et al(2014). Anti-obesity effects of Sparassis crispa on high-fat diet-induced obese mice. J Life Sci, 24(9), 952-958. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.9.95. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.9.95
- Lim CW, Kang KK, Yoo YB, et al(2012). Dietary fiber and β-glucan contents of Sparassis crispa fruit fermented with lactobacillus brevis and monascus pilosus. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr, 41(12), 1740-1746. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.12.1740. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.12.1740
- Lin JX, Leonard WJ(2019). Fine-tuning cytokine signals. Annu Rev Immunol, 37, 295-324. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-immunol-042718-041447. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-immunol-042718-041447
- Nakajima M(2014). Sparassis crispa β-glucan 1.3. 1st ed, Seoul, Health Newspaper, pp.19-20.
- Oh DS, Kim HS, Shim BS, et al(2013). Effect of mycelial culture of cauliflower mushroom (Sparassis crispa) using LED lighting operation. J Mushrooms, 11(1), 24-31. https://doi.org/10.14480/JM2013.11.1.024. https://doi.org/10.14480/JM2013.11.1.024
- Rebekka B, Lorna M, Stephan G, et al(2018). Interleukin-1 beta-A friend or foe in malignancies. Int J Mol Sci, 19(8), 2155. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms19082155. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms19082155
- Sarit A, Oren T(2019). iNOS as a metabolic enzyme under stress conditions. Free Radic Biol Med, 146, 16-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2019.10.411. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2019.10.411
- Spangler JB, Moraga I, Mendoza JL, et al(2015). Insights into cytokine-receptor interactions from cytokine engineering. Annu Rev Immunol, 33, 139-167. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-immunol-032713-120211. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-immunol-032713-120211
- Wang SJ, Kim HS, Wi AJ, et al(2014). Optimal medium composition of cauliflower mushroom(Sparassis latifolia) cultivation using douglas-fir wood chipand comparison of the β-glucan contents of the fruiting body. J Korean Wood Sci Technol, 42(4), 428-434. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2014.42.4.428. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2014.42.4.428
- Wang X, Quinn PJ(2010). Lipopolysaccharide: biosynthetic pathway and structure modification. Prog Lipid Res, 49(2), 97-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plipres.2009.06.002. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plipres.2009.06.002