- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Applying the Muscle Energy Technique to Neck Muscles on the Forward Head Posture
목 근육에 대한 근에너지기법 적용이 전방머리자세에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Hyeon-Su (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Kyungnam College of Information & Technology) ;
- Lee, Keon-Cheol (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Kyungnam College of Information & Technology) ;
- Kim, Dae-Jin (Dept. of Physical Therapy, 365Haha Hospital) ;
- Ahn, Jeong-Hoon (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Manse365 Hospital)
- 김현수 (경남정보대학교 물리치료과) ;
- 이건철 (경남정보대학교 물리치료과) ;
- 김대진 (365 하하병원 물리치료실) ;
- 안정훈 (만세 365 병원)
- Received : 2021.01.22
- Accepted : 2021.02.10
- Published : 2021.02.28
Purpose : The purpose of this study is to compare muscle activity after applying two muscle energy techniques (MET) to subjects with forward head posture to see if the post isometric relaxation (PIR) technique is more effective than the reciprocal inhibition (RI) technique. Methods : The muscle activity was measured using EMG after applying the PIR and RI techniques to 30 adults at K College. Subjects were selected for forward head posture whose ear center was 2.5 ㎝ front of the center of the shoulder. EMG equipment was used to measure muscle activity, and the measurement sites were measured in cervical flexor and extensor muscles. The experiment period was performed once a week for a total of two weeks, and after the pre-measurement was performed for 5 minutes PIR and RI exercise. In the PIR technique, the head is tilted back in a sitting position, and the experimenter applies resistance with the same force for 7~10 seconds and repeats 3-5 times after rest. In the RI technique, in a sitting position, the subject gives the force to bend the head forward, and the experimenter applies resistance with the same force for 7 to 10 seconds, and repeats 3 to 5 times after rest. Results : The result is same as the following. In the comparison of muscle activity, there was a significant decrease in both PIR and RI at 1 and 2 weeks. And there was a greater decrease in muscle activity in PIR. There was no difference in the comparison of decrease in muscle activity at 1 week and 2 week. Conclusion : Both PRI and RI can be said to be effective in improving the function of the forward head posture in the neck muscles. Therefore, the selection of the two techniques in clinical practice should be appropriately performed under the judgment of experts according to the patient's situation.
- Adler SS, Beckers D, Buck M(2008). PNF in practice: an illustrated guide. 3rd ed, Berlin, Spinger-Verlag, pp.155-167.
- Agrawal SS(2016). Comparison between post isometric relaxation and reciprocal inhibition manueverson hamstring flexibility in young healthy adults: randomizaed clinical trial. Int J Med Res Health Sci, 5(1), 33-37. https://doi.org/10.5958/2319-5886.2016.00008.4. https://doi.org/10.5958/2319-5886.2016.00008.4
- Akodu AK, Akinbo SR, Young QO(2018). Correlation among smartphone addiction, craniovertebral angle, scapular dyskinesis, and selected anthropometric variables in physiotherapy undergraduates. J Taibah Univ Med Sci, 13(6), 528-534. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtumed.2018.09.001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtumed.2018.09.001
- Chaitow L(2001). Muscle energy techniques. 2nd ed, New York, Churchill Livingstone, pp.218.
- Chaitow L, Crenshaw K(2006). Muscle energy techniques. 4th ed, New York, Elsevier, pp.319.
- Cha SJ, Im Ck, Kim KJ(2012). Study on relationship between meridian muscles and modern manual therapy centered on positional release therapy and muscle energy techniques. J Physiol Pathol Korean Med, 26(5), 630-640.
- Choi IS(2017). The effects of the combination of muscle energy technique and acupressure on pain, range of motion, muscle strength and disability in patient with frozen shoulder. Graduate school of Sahmyook University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Contractor ES, Agnihotri DS, Patel RM(2016). Effect of spencer muscle energy technique on pain and functional disability in cases of adhesive capsulitis of shoulder joint. IAIM, 3(8), 126-131.
- Falla DL, Jull GA, Hodges PW(2004). Patients with neck pain demonstrate reduced electromyographic activity of the deep cervical flexor muscles during performance of the craniocervical flexion test. Spine, 29(19), 2108-2114. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000141170.89317.0e. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000141170.89317.0e
- Jung MG(2012). The effects of proper posture memorizing exercise on neck disability index and pain in workers with chronic neck pain. Graduate school of Yonsei University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Joo DY, Kim YB, Jung DH, et al(2007). The effects of compound program of muscle energy technique and therapeutic massage on patient with chronic low back pain. Res On Phys Fitness, 29(1), 87-98.
- Kang HJ, Yang HS(2018). The effects of the action observation and visual feedback convergence exercise on the alignment, pain and function of forward head posture and round shoulder posture. J Korea Converg Soc, 9(12), 123-128. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.12.123. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.12.123
- Katherine H, Cheryl L(2005). Effectiveness of an exercise program to improve forward head posture in normal adults: a randomized, controlled 10-week trial. 13(3), 163-176. https://doi.org/10.1179/106698105790824888. https://doi.org/10.1179/106698105790824888
- Kim SH, Kwon BA, Lee WH, et al(2010). Effects of cervical spinal stabilization training in private security on chronic neck pain and cervical function, neck pain, ROM. Korean Security J, 1(25), 89-107.
- Kumar A(2015). A comparative study on the efficacy of Maitland's mobilization and muscle energy technique on frozen shoulder. Indian J Physiother Occup Ther, 9(4), 39-43. https://doi.org/10.5958/0973-5674.2015.00143.4. https://doi.org/10.5958/0973-5674.2015.00143.4
- Lee DH(2011). (The) effects of balance exercise and stretching exercise on forward head posture. Graduate school of Daegu University, Republic of Korea, Doctoral dissertation.
- Lee HJ(2017). Immediate effects of muscle energy technique on pelvic angle, muscle tone, muscle thickness of psoas major muscle in patients with low back pain with hip flexor shortening. Graduate school of Baekseok University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Lee HO, Park DJ(2012). Scapular stabilizing muscle activity during PNF backward rocking exercise in four point kneeling. PNF and Movement, 10(3), 1-6.
- Lim SH, Son JM, Park DS, et al(2009). A comparative study on the muscle energy technique (MET) and stretching exercise effect of hamstring flexibility improvement. J Oriental Rehab Med, 19(1), 201-211.
- Nachtwey MN, Stricker K(2003). Effects of the PNF-hold-relax-technique, direct and indirect, on hamstring muscle flexibility. Inter Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation Association; IPNFA Report.
- Nagarwal AK, Zutshi K, Ram CS, et al(2010). Improvement of hamstring flexibility: a comparison between two PNF stretching technique. Int J Sports Sci Engineering, 4(1), 25-33.
- Neumann DA(2002). Kinesiology of the musculoskeletal system: foundations for physical rehabilitation. 1st ed, St. Louis, Mosby, pp.597.
- Nicholas AS, Nicholas EA(2008). Atlas of osteopathic techniques. Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, pp.506.
- Park GH, Kim BW, Kim CW(2007). The effect of chiropractic & MET therapy on the ROM of cervical joint and the level of pains in the patients with chronic subluxation complex. J Korea Sport Res, 18(6), 789-800.
- Sola AE, Bonica JJ(1990). Myofascial pain syndromes. 2nd ed, Philadelphia, Lea & Febiger, pp.352-367.
- Suri SA, Anand M(2013). Comparative study on the effectiveness of Maitland mobilization technique versus muscle energy technique in treatment of shoulder adhesive capsulitis. Indian J Physiother Occup Ther, 7(4), 1-6. https://doi.org/10.5958/j.0973-56220.127.116.11. https://doi.org/10.5958/j.0973-5618.104.22.168
- Won DY, Kim SY, Kim YS, et al(2011). The effects of the neck extensor strength exercise and the thoracic extensor strength exercise on the forward head posture and the cervical range of motion. J Korean Phys Ther Sci, 18(2), 41-49.
- Youdas JW, Haeflinger KM, Kreun MK, et al(2010). The efficacy of two modified proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation stretching techniques in subjects with reduced hamstring muscle length. Physiotherapy Theory Practice, 26(4), 240-250. https://doi.org/10.3109/09593980903015292. https://doi.org/10.3109/09593980903015292
- Zito G, Jull G, Story I(2006). Clinical tests of musculoskeletal dysfunction in the diagnosis of cervicogenic headache. Man Ther, 11(2), 118-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2005.04.007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2005.04.007
- Korea Occupational Safety & Health Agency. Analysis of industrial acciden status, 2014. Available at http://www.kosha.or.kr/kosha/data/industrialAccidentCause.do?mode=view&articleo=347626&article.offset=0&articleLimit=10 Accessed December 25, 2020.