- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Posture Correction Training on Pulmonary Function with Turtle Neck Syndrome
자세교정훈련이 거북목증후군의 폐기능에 미치는 영향
- Jang, Cheul (Dept. of Occupational Therapy, Kyungnam College of Information & Technology)
- 장철 (경남정보대학교 작업치료과)
- Received : 2021.01.22
- Accepted : 2021.02.19
- Published : 2021.02.28
Purpose : The purpose of this study was to investigate the impact of postural correction training on pulmonary function on 28 college students suspected of turtle neck syndrome, and the following conclusions were obtained. Methods : Turtle neck syndrome suspicion 28 person were randomly divided into a posture training group (n = 14) and group that does not perform posture training (n = 14). Respiratory function was measured by SPIROVIT SP-1 and respiratory gas analyzer. The posture training group performed balloon blowing and stair climbing after 20 minutes of posture training, and the group without posture training carried out balloon blowing training and stair climbing. Five times a week and for two weeks. Results : 1. The comparison of the FVC before and after experiments caused by balloon blowing showed a higher level of effortful pulmonary function in the control group than in the experimental group. 2. Comparison of PEFs before and after the experiment by balloon blowing showed that the experimental group's peak flow rate was higher than that of the control group. 3. Comparison of the FIVC before and after experiments with balloon blowing showed that the comparison of the FIVC showed a higher level of effortless intake pulmonary function in the control group than in the experimental group. 4. The comparison of the maximum ventilation volume(VE) before and after the experimental gas measurement showed that the maximum ventilation rate of the experimental group was higher than that of the control group. 5. The comparison of pre-test and post-test heart rate(HR) by breath gas measurement showed that the heart rate of the control group was higher than that of the experimental group. Conclusion : the results of this study showed that postural correction training, balloon blowing training, and stair climbing could have a positive impact on improving pulmonary function. However, the two-week experiment conducted five times a week showed an increase in pulmonary function, but it was difficult to see the effect due to the short study period. Therefore, it is hoped that later studies will be conducted more systematically on the effects of breathing exercises on improving pulmonary function after post-postural correction training for patients with pulmonary function problems.
- Choi YJ, Hwang R(2011). Effect of cervical and thoracic stretching and strengthening exercise program on forward head posture. J Korea Contents Assoc, 11(10), 293-300. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.10.293. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.10.293
- Dimitriadis Z, Kapreli E, Strimpakos N, et al(2013). Respiratory weakness in patients with chronic neck pain. Man Ther, 18(3), 248-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2012.10.014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2012.10.014
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service(2016). Health insurance and medical benefits review decision data. Wonju, Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service.
- Hwang EA, Kim SH, Kang HS, et al(2012). Effect of combined exercise on cytokine in relation to cardiovascular disease in obese adolescents. Exerc Sci, 21(1), 31-40.
- Jang C(2010). The effects of breathing exercise on forward head posture. Graduate school of Daegu University, Republic of Korea, Doctoral dissertation.
- Joo HS(2015). Proposal of the problem and solution for smart media of syndrome. The Korea Contents Society, 2015 Spring Conference on Convergence Content, pp.393-394.
- Kapreli E, Vourazanis E, Strimpakos N(2008). Neck pain causes respiratory dysfunction. Med Hypotheses, 70(5), 1009-1013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2007.07.050. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2007.07.050
- Kendall FP, McCreary EK, Provance PG, et al(2005). Muscles : testing and function with posture and pain. 4th ed, Baltimore, Lippincott Wliiliams & Wilkins.
- Kera T, Maruyama H(2005). The effect of posture on respiratory activity of the abdominal muscles. J Physiol Anthropol Appl Human Sci, 24(4), 259-265. https://doi.org/10.2114/jpa.24.259. https://doi.org/10.2114/jpa.24.259
- Kim SY, Kim CM(2001). The comparison of effects the pulmonary function to breathing exercise in water and on land. J Korean Acad Phys Ther Sci, 8(1), 885-892.
- Lee DH, Lim BV(2013). The effects of dynamic stability exercise and active stretching exercise on fore and rear foot pressure distribution and posture in patients with turtle neck posture. The Official Journal of the Korean Association of Certified Exercise Professionals, 15(1), 131-143. https://doi.org/10.15758/jkak.2013.15.1.131. https://doi.org/10.15758/jkak.2013.15.1.131
- Lee SC, Sin SH, Jung JY, et al(2011a). The effects of balloon blow-ups and upper abdominal exercise on respiratory rehabilitation. J Korean Phys Ther Sci, 18(3), 17-24.
- Lee SM, Kang JH, Ko SK, et al(2011b). Cardiopulmonary physiotherapy. Seoul, Hyun Moon Publishing, pp.175-235.
- Min KO(2005). Musculoskeletal system and respiratory system exercise therapy. Seoul, Hanul Tteurak, pp.477-478.
- Park JH(2018) The influences of postures, daily habits, smartphone usage, physical activity levels and physical fitness on the spinal and pelvic deformations. Graduate school of Physical Education, Kyung Hee University, Republic of Korea, Doctoral dissertation.
- Park JM, Kim GR, Kwon TH, et al(2016). Effects of Yong Mu Do training on body composition and physical fitness and balance in elementary school children. The Journal of Learner Centered Curriculum and Instruction. 16(12), 1019-1030. https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2016.16.12.1019. https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2016.16.12.1019
- Paris SV(1990). Cervical symptoms of forward head posture. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation, 5(4), 11-20.
- Pelkonen M, Notkola IL, Lakka T, et al(2003). Delaying decline in pulmonary function with physical activity : a 25-year follow-up. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 168(4), 494-499. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200208-954OC. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200208-954OC
- Solberg G(2008). Postural disorders and musculoskeletal dysfunction: Diagnosis, prevention and treatment. Edinburgh, Churchill Livingstone, pp.22-40.
- Visscher CM, Deboer W, Lobbezoo F, et al(2002). Is there a relationship between head posture and craniomandibular pain?. J Oral Rehabil, 29(11), 1030-1036. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.2002.00998.x. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.2002.00998.x
- Woo KH, Yang JO, Lee JS(2014). Effects of the upright body type exercise program on autonomic nervous system, balance, and VAS in female middle school students. The Official Journal of the Korean Association of Certified Exercise Professionals, 16(2), 11-20. https://doi.org/10.15758/jkak.2014.16.2.11. https://doi.org/10.15758/jkak.2014.16.2.11
- Yip CH, Chiu TT, Poon AT(2008). The relationship between head posture and severity and disability of patients with neck pain. Man Ther, 13(2), 148-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.11.002. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.11.002
- Yoo IS(2010). Modern disease, prevention and exercise for turtle neck syndrome. Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, 22(4), 80.
- Yoo TW, Kang SW, Moon JH, et al(2006). Change in forced vital capacity with postures according to neuromuscular disease. J Korean Acad Rehabil Med, 30(1), 80-85.
- Yu DY(2014). The effects of a sling exercise program on the correction of the forward head posture among adolescent. J Korean Acad Orthopaedic Man Ther, 20(2), 15-20.