- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Inter-and Intra-rater Reliabilities of Myotonometric Measurement of the Erector Spinae Muscles in the Young and Old Age Groups
청년과 노인 연령군에 따른 척주세움근에 대한 마이오톤의 측정자 간, 측정자 내 신뢰도
- Han, Hyo-Gyeong (Hanyang University Hospital) ;
- Choe, Ye-Ju (Ilsan Central Hospital) ;
- Jeong, Seong-Ho (Cheongju Sandang Senior Club) ;
- Lee, Na-Kyung (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Konyang University)
- 한효경 (한양대병원) ;
- 최예주 (일상중심병원) ;
- 정성호 (청주상당시니어클럽) ;
- 이나경 (건양대학교 물리치료학과)
- Received : 2021.02.03
- Accepted : 2021.02.19
- Published : 2021.02.28
Purpose : The purpose of this study is to examine inter-and intra-rater reliabilities of myotonometric measurements of tone, elasticity and stiffness for the erector spinae muscles of the young and the elderly populations. Methods : A total of 102 (69 young adults from K university and 33 older adults from the D community center in Daejeon) were enrolled in this study. The two different raters measured each side of the erector spinae muscles at prone position. After each rater performed first measurement for a subject, 30 minutes of rest was given. The same rater then repeated the second myometric measurement on the subject. The collected data on the tone, elasticity, and stiffness of the erector spinae were analyzed using intraclass correlation coefficient (ICC) to determine inter- and intra- rater reliabilities. Results : The inter-and intra-rater reliabilities of the myotonometric measurement of the erector spinae for the total subjects were excellent (ICC > 0.9, p < 0.001). Within each of the elderly group and the young group, inter- and intra-rater reliabilities were also excellent (ICC > 0.8~0.9 / p < 0.001, ICC > 0.75~0.9 / p < 0.001, each). Conclusion : The measurement of muscle tone, elasticity, and stiffness for the erector spinae muscles using the myotonometer had excellent reliability. It was confirmed that a highly reliable myometric measurement on the erector spinae can be obtained regardless of whether it is from young or elderly people. This suggests that the myotonometer can be a useful tool to measure muscular properties of the erector spinae of the young and old as an evaluative instrument.
- Aird L, Samuel D, Stokes M (2012). Quadriceps muscle tone, elasticity and stiffness in older males: reliability and symmetry using the MyotonPRO. Arch Gerontol Geriat, 55(2), 31-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2012.03.005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2012.03.005
- Andonian BJ, Masi AT, Aldag JC, et al(2015). Greater resting lumbar extensor myofascial stiffness in younger ankylosing spondylitis patients than age-comparable healthy volunteers quantified by myotonometry. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 96(11), 2041-2047. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2015.07.014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2015.07.014
- Bailey L, Samuel D, Warner M, et al(2013). Parameters representing muscle tone, elasticity and stiffness of biceps brachii in healthy older males: symmetry and within-session reliability using the MyotonPRO. J Neurol Disord, 1(1), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.4172/jnd.1000116. https://doi.org/10.4172/jnd.1000116
- Chuang LL, Wu CY, Lin KC, et al(2012). Reliability, validity, and responsiveness of myotonometric measurement of muscle tone, elasticity, and stiffness in patients with stroke. Arch Phys Med Rehab, 93(3), 532-540. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2011.09.014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2011.09.014
- Chuang LL, Lin KC, Wu CY, et al(2013). Relative and absolute reliabilities of the myotonometric measurements of hemiparetic arms in patients with stroke. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 94(3), 459-466. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2012.08.212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2012.08.212
- Cruz-Jentoft AJ, Bahat G, Bauer J, et al(2019). Sarcopenia: revised European consensus on definition and diagnosis. Age and ageing, 48(1), 16-31. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afy169. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afy169
- De Vlugt E, de Groot JH, Schenkeveld KE, et al(2010). The relation between neuromechanical parameters and Ashworth score in stroke patients. J Neuroeng Rehabil, 7(1), 1-16.
- Ditroilo M, Hunter AM, Haslam S, et al(2011). The effectiveness of two novel techniques in establishing the mechanical and contractile responses of biceps femoris. Physiol Meas, 32(8), 1315. https://doi.org/10.1088/0967-3334/32/8/020
- Frohlich-Zwahlen AK, Casartelli NC, Item-Glatthorn JF, et al(2014). Validity of resting myotonometric assessment of lower extremity muscles in chronic stroke patients with limited hypertonia: a preliminary study. J Electromyog Kines, 24(5), 762-769. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2014.06.007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2014.06.007
- Ko CY, Choi HJ, Ryu J, et al(2018). Between-day reliability of MyotonPRO for the non-invasive measurement of muscle material properties in the lower extremities of patients with a chronic spinal cord injury. J Biomech, 73, 60-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2018.03.026. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2018.03.026
- Levengie PK, Norkin CC(2011). Joint structure and function. 5th ed, Philadelphia, F.A. Davis Company, pp.180-181, pp.510-511.
- Lohr C, Braumann K-M, Reer R, et al(2018). Reliability of tensiomyography and myotonometry in detecting mechanical and contractile characteristics of the lumbar erector spinae in healthy volunteers. Eur J Appl Physiol. 118(7), 1349-1359. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-018-3867-2. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-018-3867-2
- McGregor RA, Cameron-Smith D, Poppitt SD(2014). It is not just muscle mass: a review of muscle quality, composition and metabolism during ageing as determinants of muscle function and mobility in later life. Longevity & healthspan, 3(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1186/2046-2395-3-9. https://doi.org/10.1186/2046-2395-3-9
- Marusiak J, Jaskolska A, Koszewicz M, et al(2012). Myometry revealed medication-induced decrease in resting skeletal muscle stiffness in Parkinson's disease patients. Clin Biomech, 27(6), 632-635. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2012.02.001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2012.02.001
- Masi AT, Nair K, Evans T, et al(2010). Clinical, biomechanical, and physiological translational interpretations of human resting myofascial tone or tension. Int J Ther Massage Bodywork, 3(4), 16-28. https://doi.org/10.3822/ijtmb.v3i4.104. https://doi.org/10.3822/ijtmb.v3i4.104
- Mullix J, Warner M, Stokes M, et al(2012). Testing muscle tone and mechanical properties of rectus femoris and biceps femoris using a novel hand held MyotonPRO device: relative ratios and reliability. Working Papers in Health Sciences, 1(1), 1-8.
- Nair K, Masi AT, Andonian BJ, et al(2016). Stiffness of resting lumbar myofascia in healthy young subjects quantified using a handheld myotonometer and concurrently with surface electromyography monitoring. J Bodyw Mov Ther, 20(2), 388-396. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2015.12.005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2015.12.005
- Neuman DA(2010). Kinesioloty of the musculoskeletal system. 2th ed, Missouri, F.A. Mosby, pp.650.
- Oliva-Pascual-Vaca A, Heredia-Rizo AM, Barbosa-Romero A, et al(2014). Assessment of paraspinal muscle hardness in subjects with a mild single scoliosis curve: a preliminary myotonometer study. J Manip Physiol Ther, 37(5), 326-333. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2014.03.001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2014.03.001
- Pruyn EC, Watsford ML, Murphy AJ(2016). Validity and reliability of three methods of stiffness assessment. J Sport Health Sci, 5(4), 476-483. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jshs.2015.12.001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jshs.2015.12.001
- Schneider S, Peipsi A, Stokes M, et al(2015). Feasibility of monitoring muscle health in microgravity environments using myoton technology. Med Biol Eng Comput, 53, 57-66. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11517-014-1211-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11517-014-1211-5
- Smaczniak C, Immink RG, Muino JM, et al(2012). Characterization of MADS-domain transcription factor complexes in Arabidopsis flower development. P Nat Acad Sci, 109(5), 1560-1565. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1112871109. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1112871109