- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Manual Therapy on Musculoskeletal Diseases : A Meta-Analysis
근육뼈대계 질환에 대한 도수치료의 효과: 메타분석
- Lee, Jeong-Woo (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Kwangju Women's University) ;
- Gong, Gwang-Sik (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Dongshin University Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Kim, Dong-Yeon (Sports Rehabilitation Center, Chung Yeon Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Koh, Un (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Gwangju 365 Rehabilitation Hospital)
- 이정우 (광주여자대학교 물리치료학과) ;
- 공광식 (동신대학교 한방병원 물리치료실) ;
- 김동연 (청연한방병원 스포츠 재활센터) ;
- 고운 (광주 365 재활병원)
- Received : 2021.02.05
- Accepted : 2021.02.24
- Published : 2021.02.28
Purpose: The purpose of this meta-analysis was to examine the high-level evidence of the effects of manual therapy on musculoskeletal diseases. Methods: Domestic databases were searched for studies that conducted clinical trials associated with manual therapy on chronic musculoskeletal diseases. A total of 591 studies published between 2005 and 2018 were identified, with 18 studies satisfying the inclusion data. The studies were classified according to patient, intervention, comparison, and outcome (PICO). The search outcomes were items associated with pain and physical function. The 18 studies included in the study were evaluated by using the R meta-analysis (version 4.0). The quality of 18 randomized control trials was evaluated by using the Cochrane risk of bias (ROB). The effect sizes were computed as the corrected standardized mean difference (SMD). Subgroup and meta-regression analyses were also used. Egger's regression test was carried out in order to analyze the publication bias. Cumulative meta-analysis and sensitivity analysis were also conducted in order to analyze the data error. Results: The following factors showed the large effect size of manual therapy on chronic musculoskeletal diseases: pain (Hedges's g = 2.66; 95% CI = 1.47 ~ 3.85), and physical function (Hedges's g = 2.15; 95% CI: 1.22 ~ 3.08). The subgroup analysis only showed a statistical difference in the type of manual therapy (pain) and outcome (physical function). No statistically significant difference was found in the meta-regression analysis. Publication bias was found in the data, but the results of the trim-and-fill method showed that such bias did not largely affect the obtained data. Furthermore, there were no data errors in the cumulative meta-analysis and sensitivity analysis. Conclusion: This study provides evidence for the effectiveness of manual therapy on chronic musculoskeletal diseases in pain and physical function. Subgroup analysis suggests that only the type of manual therapy for pain and the type of outcome for physical function differed in effect size.
- Arendt-Nielsen L, Fernandez-de-las-Penas C, Graven-Nielsen T(2011). Basic aspects of musculoskeletal pain: from acute to chronic pain. J Man Manip Ther, 19(4), 186-193. https://doi.org/10.1179/106698111X13129729551903. https://doi.org/10.1179/106698111X13129729551903
- Bailey LB, Thiggen CA, Hawkins RJ, et al(2017). Effectiveness on manual therapy and stretching for baseball player with shoulder range of motion deficits. Sports Health, 9(3), 230-237. https://doi.org/10.1177/1941738117702835. https://doi.org/10.1177/1941738117702835
- Carlson H, Carlson N(2011). An overview of the management of persistent musculoskeletal pain. Ther Adv Musculoskelet Dis, 3(2), 91-99. https://doi.org/10.1177/1759720X11398742. https://doi.org/10.1177/1759720X11398742
- Camargo PR, Alburquerque-Sendin F, Avila MA, et al(2015). Effects of stretching and strengthening exercises, with and without manual therapy, on scapular kinematics, function, and pain in Individuals with shoulder impingement: a randomized controlled trial. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther, 45(12), 984-997. https://doi,org/10.2519/jospt.2015.5939. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2015.5939
- Choi YJ(2016). The effects of nerve mobilization of pain, lumbar dysfunction and hamstring flexibility in patient with sciatica. J Korean Soc Rhyth Exer, 9(1), 31-38.
- Choo YK(2018). Effects of mobilization with movement combined with exercise(EMWM) on AHD in patients with shoulder impingement syndrome. Graduate school of Silla University, Republic of Korea, Doctoral dissertation.
- Frantz A, Massie G, Clark J, et al(2015). Effects of joint mobilization and treatment timing on the glenohumeral joint; a pilot study. Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Practice, 27(3), 160-167.
- Hidalgo B, Hall T, Berwart M, et al(2018). The immediate effects of two manual therapy techniques on ankle musculoarticular stiffness and dorsiflexion range of motion in people with chronic ankle rigidity: A randomized clinical trial. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil, 31(3), 515-524. https://doi,org/10.3233/BMR-170963. https://doi.org/10.3233/BMR-170963
- Hwang JH(2012). The effects of sling exercise and myofascial release on pain, ROM and EMG in women with chronic neck pain. Graduate school of Donbang University, Republic of Korea, Doctoral dissertation.
- Hwang SD(2016). Meta-analysis using R. 1st ed, Seoul, Hakjisa, pp.134-201.
- Jeong EY(2018). The effects hip mobilization on pain, trunk flexibility, function for chronic low back pain patients. The Journal of Korean of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy, 24(1), 23-29.
- Jeong UC(2016). The effects of spinal manipulation combined with sciatic nerve mobilization on the pain, disability index, muscle strength, and postural balance ability in lower back pain patient accompanied by radiating pain. Graduate school of Daegu University, Republic of Korea, Doctoral dissertation.
- Ju TS(2014). Effects of hip mobilization on pain, function, range of motion, and psychological factors for patient suffering from chronic low back pain with limited range of hip joint motion. Graduate school of Sahmyook University, Republic of Korea, Master's Thesis.
- Kamali F, Shirazi SA, Ebrahimi S, et al(2016). Comparison of manual therapy and exercise therapy for postural hyperkyphosis: A randomized clinical trial. Physiother Theory Pract, 32(2), 92-97. https://doi.org/10.3109/09593985.2015.1110739. https://doi.org/10.3109/09593985.2015.1110739
- Kendall JC, Vindigni D, Polus BI, et al(2020). Effects of manual therapies on stability in people with musculoskeletal pain: a systamatic review. Chiropr Man Therap, 28(1), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12998-020-0300-9. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12998-020-0300-9
- Kim K, Lee KS, Choi SJ, et al(2017). Effects of manual therapy on pain and function of patients with chronic low back pain. J Kor Phys Ther, 29(2), 85-90. https://doi.org/10.18857/jkpt.2017.29.2.85. https://doi.org/10.18857/jkpt.2017.29.2.85
- Kim YI(2018). The effect of the lumbar segmental mobilization technique on chronic low back pain patients' balance, the mechanical characteristics of the muscles, and back pain dysfunction index. Graduate school of Sehan University, Republic of Korea, Master's Thesis.
- Ko TS, Jung HB, Kim JA(2009). The effects of thoracic mobilization on pain, disability index and spinal mobility in chronic low back pain patients. Journal of Special Education Rehabilitation Science, 48(2), 115-137.
- Laimi K, Makila A, Barlund E, et al(2018). Effectiveness of myofascial release in treatment of chronic musculoskeletal pain: a systematic review. Cln Rehabil, 32(4), 440-450. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215517732820. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215517732820
- Lee KS(2017). Effects of joint mobilization in cervical spine and upper thoracic and therapeutic exercise on functional impairment in individual with chronic neck pain. Graduate school of Cheongju University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Lee YH, Kwon WA, Lee JH, et al(2008). The effects of sustained natural apophyseal glides on pain and lumbar stability in patient with chronic low back pain. J Korean Soc Phys Med, 3(3), 203-213.
- Lee YH(2015). Effects thoracic joint manipulation on spine curvature of industry workers with chronic low back pain; double blind. Graduate school of Konyang University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Maicki T, Bilski J, Szczygiel E, et al(2017). PNF and manual therapy treatment results of patients with cervical spine osteoarthritis. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil, 30(5), 1095-1101. https://doi.org/10.3233/BMR-169718. https://doi.org/10.3233/BMR-169718
- Martins WR, Blasczyk JC, de Oliveira RJ, et al(2016). Efficacy of musculoskeletal manual approach in the treatment of temporomandibular joint disorder: a systematic review with meta analysis. Review Man Ther, 21, 10-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2015.06.009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2015.06.009
- Moon SH, Lee S, Bae DK(2020). Non-operative management of musculoskeletal pain. J Korean Orthop Assoc, 55(1), 29-37. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2020.55.1.29. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2020.55.1.29
- Morell GC(2016). Manual therapy improved signs and symptoms temporomandibular disorders. Evid Based Dent, 17(1), 25-26. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ebd.6401155. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ebd.6401155
- Page MJ, Green S, Surace SJ, et al(2016). Manual therapy and exercise for rotator cuff disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 10(6), 1-271. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD012224. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD012224
- Park KB(2005). The effects of manual therapy on the cervical range of motion and pain for patients with chronic neck pain. Graduate school of Daegu University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Rosemary Y, Walter WB, Virak T(2018). Deep friction massage versus steroid injection in the treatment of lateral epicondylitis. Hand, 13(1), 56-59. https://doi.org/10.1177/1558944717692088. https://doi.org/10.1177/1558944717692088
- Rubinstein SM, de Zoete A, van Middelkoop M, et al(2019). Benefits and harms spinal manipulative therapy for the treatment of chronic low back pain: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. BMJ, 364, Printed Online. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l689. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l689
- Schneider MJ, Ammendolia C, Murphy DR, et al(2019). Comparative clinical effectiveness of nonsurgical treatment methods in patients with lumbar spinal stenosis: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Netw Open, 2(1), Printed Online. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.6828. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.6828
- Seong YB(2013). The effects of thoracic mobilization & manipulation on function and psychology in patients with chronic low back pain. Graduate school of Korea National University of Transportation, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Sullivan G, Feinn R(2012). Using effect size-or why the p value is not enough. J Grad Med Educ, 4(3), 279-282. https://doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-12-00156.1. https://doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-12-00156.1
- Yang JM(2016). The effect of thoracic joint mobilization on pain, disability spine curvature, static balance, range of motion and proprioception in back pain patients with thoracic hypomobility. Graduate school of Daejeon University, Republic of Korea, Doctoral dissertation.
- Yoon KS(2012). The effects ankle mobilization and active stretching on the difference of weight-bearing distribuation, low back pain and flexibility in pronated-foot subjects. Graduate School of KOREA University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Yu JH(2014). The effects of manual therapy for the hip joint on the pain, static and dynamic balance, and psychological elements of chronic low back pain patients. Graduate school of Hallym University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Yu MH(2017). Effect of the hip mobilization with lumbar stabilization exercise on pain, muscle thickness, Oswestry disability index and range of motion for chronic low back pain with lumbar instability. Graduate school of Sanmyook University, Republic of Korea, Master's thesis.
- Uhl RL, Roberts TT, Papaliodis DN, et al(2014). Management of chronic musculoskeletal pain. J Am Acad Orthop Surg, 22(2), 101-110. https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-22-02-101. https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-22-02-101
- Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 6(2019). Cochrane. Available at https://training.cochrane.org/handbook/archive/v6 Accessed February 4, 2021.