- Volume 20 Issue 1
A Study on the Classification of Surface Defect Based on Deep Convolution Network and Transfer-learning
신경망과 전이학습 기반 표면 결함 분류에 관한 연구
- Kim, Sung Joo (Graduate school, Korea National University of Transportation) ;
- Kim, Gyung Bum (Aeronautical & Mechanical Design Engineering, Korea National University of Transportation)
- Received : 2021.03.09
- Accepted : 2021.03.18
- Published : 2021.03.31
In this paper, a method for improving the defect classification performance in low contrast, ununiformity and featureless steel plate surfaces has been studied based on deep convolution neural network and transfer-learning neural network. The steel plate surface images have low contrast, ununiformity, and featureless, so that the contrast between defect and defect-free regions are not discriminated. These characteristics make it difficult to extract the feature of the surface defect image. A classifier based on a deep convolution neural network is constructed to extract features automatically for effective classification of images with these characteristics. As results of the experiment, AlexNet-based transfer-learning classifier showed excellent classification performance of 99.43% with less than 160 seconds of training time. The proposed classification system showed excellent classification performance for low contrast, ununiformity, and featureless surface images.
- Neogi, N., "Review of Vision-Based Steel Surface Inspection Systems", EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing, Vol. 2014, No. 1, pp.1-5, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1186/1687-5281-2014-50
- Ghorai, S., et al, "Automatic Defect Detection on HotRolled Flat Steel Products", Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 62, NO. 3, pp.612-621, 2013.
- Kim, SJ., Kim, GB., "A Study on the Defect Classification of Low-contrast . Uneven . Featureless Surface Using Wavelet Transform and Support Vector Machine", Journal of Semiconductor & Display Technology, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp.1-6, 2020.
- Yazdchi, M. R., Mahyari, A. G., Nazeri, A., "Detection and Classification of Surface Defects of Cold Rolling Mill Steel Using Morphology and Neural Network", Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, pp.1071-1076, 2008.
- Caleb, P., Steuer, M., "Classification of surface defects on hot rolled steel using adaptive learning methods", Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Proc. 1, pp.103-108, 2000.
- He, D., Xu, K., Zhou, P., "Defect detection of hot rolled steels with a new object detection framework called classification priority network", Computers & Industrial Engineering, Vol. 128, pp.290-297, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2018.12.043
- An, M. S., Kang, D. S., "Development of Image Analysis System Using Object Classifier basd on Deep Convolutional Neural Network", The Journal of Korean Institute of Information Technology, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp.67-73, 2016.
- Kim, S. J., Kim, G. B., "Optimum Illumination Mechanism for Steel Plate Inspection Using Wavelet Synthetic Image and Entropy-Based Discriminant Measure", Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems, Vol. 24, No. 9, pp.838-844, 2018. https://doi.org/10.5302/j.icros.2018.18.0108
- Park, J. Y., Seo, B. S., "A Study on Resilient BackPropagation Neural Network Model for Estimation of Welding Properties of Flux Cored Wire", Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, Vol. 42, No. 7, pp.531-538, 2018.
- Han, J. S., Kwak, K. C., "Image Classification Using Convolutional Neural Network and Extreme Learning Machine Classifier Based on ReLU Function", The Journal of Korean Institute of Information Technology, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp.15-23, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14801/jkiit.2017.15.2.15
- Krizhevsky, A., Sutskever, I., Hinton, G., "ImageNet classification with deep convolutional neural networks", Communications of the ACM, Vol. 60, No. 6, pp.84-90, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1145/3065386
- Girshick, R., Donahue, J., Darrell, T., Malik, J., "Region-Based Convolutional Networks for Accurate Object Detection and Segmentation", Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp.142-158, 2016.